Hot Topics

My PC isn't detecting my second monitor

peklar5 15:21 28 May 2020

Now I don't know much about computers but I try my best to explain my problem. If there is anything that doesn't make sense or I didn't mention something important please say what and I will try to rephrase myself.

I have a PC connected to my working AOC monitor and I have another monitor in my room that I used to watch TV (Samsung T24A550 - LED monitor with TV tuner). I don't really watch TV anymore so I wanted to use this monitor as my second monitor on my PC and it doesn't work.

Working monitor is connected to NVIDIA Quadro P620 graphics card. If I understand correctly it is connected with mdp 1.4 to DP cable and then DP to HDMI cable (does that make sense?). This monitor works perfectly. When I try to connect my second monitor with the same cables as first monitor it doesn't work. I also tried to connect PC to second monitor directly with HDMI cable and also directly with VGA cable but neither worked.

There is nothing wrong with the cables or with the ports on PC or second monitor. When I connect this non working monitor with my laptop with HDMI cable it works without a problem so monitor is in good shape aswell. My graphics card is updated with the latest update.

Now there is one thing I noticed when I have both monitors connected to PC. When I go, on my working monitor, to Display setting and try to detect second monitor it says that the second display is not detected. At the same time something happens on non working monitor because HDMI1/DVI source is detected on the 'source page' alongside with TV, PC and Ext. but it just says that there is no signal. So I guess there is some connection with PC and monitor?

If anyone has any idea how to fix this please help. I will try my best to do as you say and will inform you if it helped or not quickly as possible. Thank you.

Truffles01 14:45 29 May 2020

Hi you will need to find your Graphics card control panel. I can access mine by right clicking on my home screen and it is usually the bottom option that comes up. You can usually find the monitors setup. You could also try the settings hope this link helps click here

peklar5 19:27 29 May 2020

Yeah I know about that but it is no help because PC doesn't detect second monitor at all. I can't change there anything that could help me solve this problem.

wee eddie 19:47 29 May 2020

Where does the Monitor get its power from?

wee eddie 22:33 29 May 2020

What I should have said is. Are both connections through the Graphics Card?

peklar5 15:57 30 May 2020

Yes. I mean I also tried connecting it on motherboard but it neither worked.

Jollyjohn 16:40 01 Jun 2020

What screen resolution is your current monitor? Can the second monitor handle the same resolution? I use an old TV as a second monitor but it is limited in resolution - I often get "Signal out of range" message, so try a lower resolution?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs