My new computer often freezes

Arthemoon 00:16 24 Mar 2019

Hello, I bought a new computer 2months ago. I installed win 10 and my pc has immediately started freezing since that installation. It happens 5-10x a day (depends on what I am doing). When I am playing games, screen sometimes freezes and in-game music stops playing for like 5-10s. The same freezing happens in browser, in desktop... actually everywhere... Example: I clicked on start, It took some time to open, then I wanted to open calculator, I clicked on it and calculator was totally freezed (and destkop too), but I could click on my open browser and read open website. Sometimes It takes longer time to load something (for example when I click on a folder (right click) then It takes definitely more time than clicking for the second time on that folder. What I tried: 1) Updating drivers (even bios) 2) Deleting temp files, check HDD problems 3) Fresh installation of Win10

My pc: CPU: AMD ryzen 5 2600 GPU: ASRock Radeon Phantom Gaming D RX580 8G OC, 8GB GDDR5 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Grey 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO - AMD B450 SSD: Kingston Now A400, 2,5" - 480GB OS: WIN10

Problems still persist even after SECOND installation. Could you please help me to deal with this problem? What should I try to get rid of it, please? Thank you very much

Menzie 01:17 24 Mar 2019

Did it run fine before in the two months that you had it? What was installed before Windows 10?

What build of Windows 10 do you have? To find out type "winvers" into the start menu and press enter.

Arthemoon 09:46 24 Mar 2019

It didnt run fine. It has started freezing since the first day I got the computer. Version: 1809 (build 17763.379), Win 10 pro

wee eddie 10:44 24 Mar 2019

Your Contract is with whoever you purchased it from. Return it

Arthemoon 11:07 24 Mar 2019

Excuse me, what do you mean "return it"? Return what? computer?

Menzie 11:38 24 Mar 2019

You have an up to date build of Windows 10, there was some issues with that chipset and Windows 10 prior to build 1709. You have 1809 however so that is good.

When you updated the drivers did you get the latest drivers for your chipset from the AMD website? The latest drivers for the B450 chipset is 18.10.1810.

Do you have a different SSD drive to try? The A400 seems to be hit and miss with AMD AM4 systems from users online.

If this is a prebuilt system (I'm assuming it isn't) then I'd return it for an exchange.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 24 Mar 2019

If it been freezing from day one then return the PC.

Some software checks you can do first to prove not software,

1. Run sfc / scannow from a command prompt and let windows scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files ( or back up your data and do a clean install of windows)

2. check you have the latest drivers for your devices.

3. Check for virus or malware

some main reasons for freezing PCs:-

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans - speed fan will show temperatures

2. PSU voltages - speed fan will also show voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

tunitech 12:08 24 Mar 2019

Since it is a new computer, you might want to return it if warantee covers it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans