My monitor goes dim

hatrickj 12:48 26 Nov 2003

My CRT monitor flickers and goes dim frequently. I have a surge suppressor fitted to my Win 98 system. Any comments please?

xania 13:29 26 Nov 2003

I haven't seen this for some time, but when I had the prpoblem it turned out to be a dry joint creating a lose contact. I tried on a number of occasions to get it repaired - each time it worked for a few weeks then went again. Fortunately, I needed an excuse to upgrade!!!!

hatrickj 18:53 26 Nov 2003

xania; I presume somewhre in monitor, whre was your dry joint? could it also be in themain box somewhere?

[email protected]@m 19:15 26 Nov 2003

Waggle the leads and tap the monitor and PC case. This may indicate the location of the problem if you get a reaction on the monitor screen.

Do not be tempted to open up the monitor case, lethal voltages will be present even after the power has been switched off for several hours.

Gongoozler 19:17 26 Nov 2003

hatrickj, my monitor occasionaly dims or changes colour, and it always recovers after a bit of movement at the connector to the graphics card. If all connectors were properly gold plated this wouldn't happen ;-).

It is quite possible that the problem is a dodgy joint or connector inside the monitor, but with voltages in excess of 30,000 volts inside a monitor this should only be investigated by someone suitably qualified.

xania 12:27 27 Nov 2003

My point precisely. Unless you are qualified, DO NOT attempt a repair. Repairs are costly and typically a waste of time. Have you tried connecting another monitor to see if that resolves the problem. Unless you can prove a connection or graphics card problem, the safest approach is to get your monitor replaced.

Stuartli 14:27 27 Nov 2003

If you go to a quality independent TV outlet with a workshop such seemingly simple problems will be readily cured - there's very little difference between a standard TV and a monitor that a good technician won't be able to solve.

In fact many such workshops undertake monitor repair work.

Stuartli 14:33 27 Nov 2003

As pointed out by others, if you mess about inside a monitor (or a TV) the colour will be draining out of you....

My best mate runs an independent audio/visual/appliances retail shop and has been involved with TV repairs for nearly 40 years.

I've seen even him, with his vast experience, get a belt off a TV chassis on the very odd occasion. Wakes him up though!

callingman 14:38 27 Nov 2003

Most likly your monitor. Could be Line output transfomer or if it's old, the tube. Most monitors have 3 year warranties, could be worth looking at that. If you live within striking distance of Nottingham I can give you a tel number of a good electronics man who would look at it for you

hatrickj 20:05 08 Dec 2003

I got the monitor refurbished. Someone has suggested that as connectors not colour coded it is quite old. Does anyone know when colour coding became standard?

Valvegrid 20:45 08 Dec 2003

I had exactly the same problem with a monitor here for about a year. The back was on and off so many times it's a wonder I didn't ware the screws out. I re-soldered every joint, tapped every component, froze, 'em, heated 'em (not really recomended) wiggled and cleaned all the plugs, to no avail. In the end I had to concede defeat and replace the monitor. It's one of the most difficult faults to find when it's intermittent.

After 35 years in electronics, I hate intermittent faults the most, it's a great time waster.

Hope you get it sorted, good luck

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?