My HP Pavilion PC reboots from time to time

stlucia2 20:14 03 Apr 2018
Answered

My HP Pavilion PC from time to time (maybe once a day) emits a "pffft" noise from the speaker in the LCD monitor, and shuts down without warning. It happens whether I'm on the internet or working locally. The monitor displays the 'Monitor is going to sleep' message and then almost immediately the HP logo is displayed and the PC goes through the normal boot-up routine. Any ideas what the cause might be, or how I can investigate further, please?

I've seen a couple of similar threads a couple of pages back in this forum, but their description doesn't sound the same as what mine is doing.

My PC is running Windows 10 64-bit with an AMD 12-9800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 8.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.

wee eddie 22:28 03 Apr 2018

My AMD Chipped PC does this about once a day.

I have assumed that it has been caused by the botched attempt to overcome the "Spectre " Problem

rdave13 08:08 04 Apr 2018
Answer

Sometimes, as a workaround, disabling hibernation works with this issue. Find CMD (admin) and copy and paste powercfg -h off and press enter. Note that fast startup is also disabled so your boot time will be slightly longer.

If the issue still persists then simply use powercfg -h on to reinstate.

stlucia2 11:05 04 Apr 2018

I wasn't aware of the 'spectre problem' or any attempt to overcome it! Is this a fault that would warrant me sending my PC back to the vendor for replacement?

Anyway, I'll try rdave's suggestion to disable hibernation and report back in a week or so (if I remember!) to say if it seems to have cured it.

rdave13 11:42 04 Apr 2018

This is HP's report on Meltdown and Spectre issues that affect all CPU's click here. Inspectre download click here .

stlucia2 20:30 07 Apr 2018

"Sometimes, as a workaround, disabling hibernation works with this issue. Find CMD (admin) and copy and paste powercfg -h off and press enter. Note that fast startup is also disabled so your boot time will be slightly longer."

I've tried that at the command prompt, but it wouldn't allow it. But I managed to execute the command in 'Administrator: Windows Powershell' -- or at least I think I executed the command, for there was no error message. I'll see how it goes.

Govan1x 09:03 08 Apr 2018

FE will be having a look at titimachine post.In the meantime do not be clicking on his red _ _

stlucia2 13:18 19 Apr 2018

So far so good!

12 days now since I executed the command that rdave13 mentioned, and so far my PC hasn't shut down unexpectedly. As mentioned, boot time is slightly longer, but that's no hardship compared with shutting down in the middle of a task.

rdave13 10:08 20 Apr 2018

Thanks for the feedback. Two benefits you get, for the one drawback of a slightly longer boot, is you gain about 4 GB space on the disk and a slightly faster 'proper' shutdown.

stlucia2 13:12 20 Apr 2018

Thanks rdave13. I've clicked on 'Is the answer' against your first thread.

stlucia2 08:42 21 Apr 2018

Having clicked on 'Is the answer' it now says 'Is not the answer' against the post. That doesn't look right. Am I supposed to click on every post except the correct answer, so that they all display 'Is not the answer'?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?