My HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H53N can't read CD-R

GShepherd 05:44 04 Oct 2008

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H53N from Dell. It can only read original discs, but not CD-R. Whenever I insert a CD-R onto the DVD tray, my PC indicates there is no disc there. I suspect it is the firmware because Dell just replaced my broken DVD drive with H53N 3 months ago. Does anyone know what is wrong with this H53N drive or where I can find the latest firmware to download? Thank you

johndrew 09:38 04 Oct 2008

If Dell have just replaced it (under warranty?) then your best option is to go back to them. If you take action - like a firmware update - and it fails, they may wash their hands of it.

GShepherd 16:17 04 Oct 2008

My PC is no longer under warranty. Dell replaced the DVD drive one day before the warranty expired.

Joe R 20:45 04 Oct 2008

GShepherd,

assuming you are running XP, have you tried accessing my computer-right click on the drive-open properties-tick enable cd recording.

brundle 21:10 04 Oct 2008

The above will have no effect at all. DVD/CD drives uses a separate laser for each type of disc. Sounds as though the CD reader has failed in your replacement drive. DVDRW drives are pretty low cost these days; click here

GShepherd 02:54 05 Oct 2008

The drive can read original CD and DVD. However, if it is a burned CD (CD-R), the drive doesn't recognize the disc. That leads me to believe I may need to update the firmware, but I just couldn't locate it.

GShepherd 02:54 05 Oct 2008

The drive can read original CD and DVD. However, if it is a burned CD (CD-R), the drive doesn't recognize the disc. That leads me to believe I may need to update the firmware, but I just couldn't locate it.

100andthirty 08:04 05 Oct 2008

will it read CR-R's it's recorded?

will another computer play the CD-R's.

you've obviously latched onto the idea of firmware, but this would be unusual in my experience.

I suspect the CD-R's might not be "finalised", especially if recorded on something else.

GShepherd 17:22 05 Oct 2008

The drive can't read recorded CD-R, but the same CD-R can be played bt other computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?