my graphics card has met it's match...

Mysticnas 11:38 24 Nov 2003

Hi all...

Just for those of you that don't know... the latest game in the need for speed series is out, Underground. I downloaded the demo last night from click here and ran it with visuals at full throttle...

and oh my god it looks excellent... but my graphics card handles it quite slowly, felt like i was racing at 10mph. I turned the visual settings to low, just to see whether the actual gameplat was good.

And it is.. quite good. But my graphics card (GF4 Ti4600) can't hack it... oh my what am i to do...

how much you reckon i can sell my graphics card for? it's a Leadtek A250 Ultra TD My ViVo. it cost me just over £250 about a year or so ago.

tenplus1 12:01 24 Nov 2003

It's almost a fact that every new game that appears will make total use of your 3D GFX card and push it to the limits, but I get the feeling game writers are kinda leaving the older cards behind...

You buy something and within 2 months a newer and faster card appears and before long the BASIC spec for new games will rise and even the new-at-the-time cards will seem slow...

If you're a total game fanatic then upgrading your window to total-game-play seems a good thing to do, but try and look for a few tools online to tweak your existing card and maybe look at overclocking (with proper cooling) it to squeeze some extra frames-per-second out of it...

©®@$? 12:10 24 Nov 2003

OMG and i am thinking of buying a gforce 4 ti 4200 to replace my tnt2 card..

i'll have to think about that

Mysticnas 12:48 24 Nov 2003

my card comes with tweaking software. It comes with a gigantic heatsink that wraps right round and 2 fans. I've clocked it quite a bit, as well as my pentuim 4... but anyway... with my 3Ghz clocked p4, clocked gf4, and 2Gb of dual channel DDR, the game still runs slowly. I gotta upgrade my graphics card... but i can't find a viable excuse to, i mean gaming isn't enough. I make 3d animations and models etc, video editing, and imaging work, but my AGP can handle anything in that department that i have the skill to thow at it so far... Darn...

Just have to wait till i can say "danm these 3d renders are just taking too long..."

Nas

Mysticnas 12:54 24 Nov 2003

the FX 5950.... but at almost £400 my funds can't stand a blow that big... besides i think the new year will bring something much bigger from nvidia... much much bigger....

;o)

SGT BARNES 12:59 24 Nov 2003

i've got a ti4200 and it pretty much handles all the new games , sounds like it might be a software problem more than a hardware problem.

Mysticnas 13:00 24 Nov 2003

what new games?

download that demo from that link i gave you, run it at full blast, and see how your hardware copes.

Mysticnas 13:18 24 Nov 2003

that sounded a little rude... let me rephrase...

i'm certain it's a hardware issue...

But if you can prove me wrong then i can look further into this problem...

Simple download the demo of the new game from nfs website (link in primary post) and let me know how it goes with all the visuals turned on full. If it runs extremely smoothly then i know it's not a hardware issue.

To set the visuals to full: in the game menu, go to options, display and graphics card config. set res to 1280x1024, and then to advanced, and select all options to on, and all detail levels (reflections/shadows etc.) to full. then run a race.

It should run sluggish... then go back to to options and turn the res right down... it should run ok, but for fastest frame rates, set all the options to off and detail settings to low. It should then run quite fast.

Now thats how fast i believe the game should run with all the visuals set to full, but it obviously doesn't. I can assume only that when they made this game, the took the new generation of AGP cards into account, ie, Ati9800XT and FX 5950....

;o)

©®@$? 13:19 24 Nov 2003

it looks a good game

not attempting to play it on my tnt2 card tho

ess pro evolution 3 played in slow motion..so i think ill save my bandwith

Mysticnas 13:22 24 Nov 2003

though it is only a demo, and i believe the PC version will be better than console versions...

it's got that arcade style to it, and kinda lacking the simualtion feel... which is all good... but i do miss the nfs sim style. oh well...

©®@$? 13:22 24 Nov 2003

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
===========================
Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000 Professional, XP Professional, or XP Home operating system
Intel Pentium III (or compatible) CPU running at 700Mhz or higher
32MB DirectX 9 compatible video card (Geforce2 or higher) using a
supported chipset (see below)
128MB of RAM (256 MB using Windows 2000 or XP)
DirectX compatible sound card
Hard Drive Space: 450 MB free Hard Disk space, plus space for Direct X9 installation.
Sound: DirectX compatible Sound Card8X CD-ROM

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR ONLINE PLAY
===========================
Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000 Professional, XP Professional, or XP Home operating system
Intel Pentium III (or compatible) CPU running at 700Mhz or higher
32MB DirectX 9 compatible video card (Geforce2 or higher) using a
supported chipset (see below)
256MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Hard Drive Space: 450 MB free Hard Disk space, plus space for Direct X9 installation.
Sound: DirectX compatible Sound Card
8X CD-ROM
Network card for broadband connectivity

SUPPORTED VIDEO CARD CHIPSETS
=============================
ATI Radeon 7500 or greater
Intel i865
Matrox Parhelia
NVidia geForce2 or greater
SiS Xabre 400

it should run well on your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?