My file explorer wont open properly on W10 on chro

laptopdunce 17:16 14 Jan 2018

I am using google chrome on a W10 laptop, all of a sudden the file manager wont open properly, it has a text saying "working on it" and a little round icon that just goes around, it was working fine this morning, but now it wont open, and when I click on file tab at the top of the file explorer it all goes grey and says "PC not responding" at the top of the page, so I have to close it down to get rid of it, what can be causing this? I have cleared all the history on Google chrome and done the disk clean-up but its still the same, dont use this computer much so its not overloaded with stuff, very odd, thanks Laptopdunce

Govan1x 18:03 14 Jan 2018

Have you tried resetting chrome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 14 Jan 2018

chrome and file manager? (File Explorer) do not have anything to do with each other It won't be a chrome problem.

laptopdunce 18:45 14 Jan 2018

I tried updateing hte chrome browser and its not that, its up to date, if I right click on the mouse on the file explorer icon on taskbar I do get "desktop, downloads, documents and pictures at the top, then a list of photo albums I have "frequently" opened, but when I left click on the file explorer it brings up the page for it but only that "working on it" and the rotating circle and then "pc not working" in the top left hand corner of the page, it also wont display the phone I have connected to the laptop, I have removed the phone and shut down the laptop and rebooted and its still the same, thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 20:03 14 Jan 2018

This is really weird, I unplugged the phone from the laptop (after I had been transferring some photos) and lo and behold the file explorer now shows all the photos and other things, the DVD drive etc., I plugged the phone back in and it appeared in the file explorer page, I hope this is the end of it!! thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 09:26 15 Jan 2018

Just another question re: smartphones, I dont know if I should post another post in smartphones section? but thought i would add this here, when I am putting a large 32gb size SD card into a mobile phone it asks me if I want to use the internal storage or the SD card as the "deafult storage" (cant remember the option specifics) I have chosen to use it for being part of the phones system, but which is the best one to use, as I am basically only using the SD card to add files/photos to the phone, the phones system is well contained on its 8gb memory so basically should I opt for "default storage" > internal storage or the SD card? this always puzzles me as I thought putting a big SD card into the phone is just to accomodate the extra photos/files you add to the phone? thanks Laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)