my e mail address used as spam?

applecroc 00:07 25 Jun 2005

I have received a mail from someone claiming they think my e mail address is being used as spam. This person says they keep getting mail addressed from me. How can this be possible. I can't see how someone can be getting into my account as the sent folder isn't registering these.I have definitely not sent mail to this person. Can anyone explain this to me . Thanks.

p;3 00:13 25 Jun 2005

would ask; do you know this person , or is this in itself a spam mail?

have they sent you or told you the exact address that is being apparently used?

applecroc 00:17 25 Jun 2005

Never heard of this person or their mail address before but the message came to my e mail claiming they had a message from me.? which they hadn't.

p;3 00:24 25 Jun 2005

dont suppose you have mailwasher there to check the route of it and see if it has more than one destination? in other words a spam mail for you? and presume you have not responded to it:)

muscic lover 00:37 25 Jun 2005

probably just a spam mail sent to you to entice you to open it to see if your account is valid!
delete it and ignore it!

applecroc 11:49 25 Jun 2005

ok folks ,thanks for the advise .I will treat this as a spam mail. Thanks

bremner 11:59 25 Jun 2005

It is most likely that someone with your e mail address is their address book has been infected by one of the mass mailing worms.

This then sends e mails preporting to be from you to all and sundry. The first yopu know is when you suddenly get hit with lots of bounced e amils or someone contacts you saying you have been sending them e mail.

I suffered this when a work colleague got MyDoom, I used Mailwasher to screen the mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?