MY DOUBLE CLICK ON SHORTCUTS NO LONGER WORK.

SANAP 10:17 20 Nov 2003

os is win98se and yesterday I had to run scandisk all the way through and pc rebooted ok. However, on the desktop where I have all my shortcuts they no longer open using the double click. I have in fact to right click and then select open, not very short! What has happened and can I recover the situation?.

I keep PC switched on and a bit reluctant to do a shutdown and re-boot just yet.

sanap

DieSse 10:21 20 Nov 2003

Somehow you may just have got the double-click time set to the fastes possible - it's almost impossible to use then. Go to the Control Panel - Mouse - and make sure the double-click speed box is in the middle of the speed range.

SANAP 10:31 20 Nov 2003

No, just looked and speed is ok. Actually when I double click the shortcut I get windows explorer properties window so the double click works but does not do what it should do ie open the package.

Thnanks for reply.

sanap

Kitz E Kat 13:12 20 Nov 2003

Try delete the shortcut and then create a new one...

My be that the scandisk removed the 'link', why i ain't got the faintest idea!!! but could be..

Try it and see what happens, won't do no harm...

Also i would reboot, sorts out lots of 'funny' problems........

pj123 13:20 20 Nov 2003

You could try a registry restore. Boot your computer and keep tapping the F8 key until you get a menu. Choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only and press Enter. When you get to the C:\ prompt type in scanreg /restore and press enter. Don't forget the space between scanreg and /restore.

You should get a window with the last five dates the computer booted properly. Select a date before the problem you have started and press Enter.

SANAP 20:06 21 Nov 2003

thanks all, it sorted it itself, had a power cut and then when it re-booted all was ok, very strange

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?