My computer is "dropping" my external hard drive.

Housten 15:55 03 Jun 2018

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I hope someone can help me because I think backups are essential.

I have a desktop computer that has Windows 7 Home Premium (X64) with SP1 ( build 7601 ). It has 4GB ram. I hope that is enough information but just ask if more is required.

About a fortnight ago I got a new hub to replace one I have had for about 3 years. Last Sunday, as usual, I did my weekly backup of my hard drives, and everything went through. During the week I use a syncing programme to do daily back ups of the files that are likely to have changed. The new hub was “dropped” by my computer and I had to repeat the process at least once and – on one occasion – three times. So before doing my weekly back up I decided that I had better change back to my “old” hub, but it has now happened to it as well.

I now realise that when I had been thinking that my problem was the “new” hub it is not that at all but something is wrong with my computer. Because I have 7 I do not get many updates from Microsoft and they are installed as I am trying to shut down. But I do not remember an update in the last month.

If anyone has any idea of what is going on in my desktop I would be very grateful for ANY advice or information that anyone can give me. I can assure you that ALL replies will be very gratefully received. If anyone needs more information about my desktop, please ask and I will do my best to get the information requested.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 03 Jun 2018

Are you backing up to the cloud or to a NAS via your hub?

Are you suffering internet drop outs?

Housten 16:24 04 Jun 2018

Good Afternoon, Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thank you for your reply. I do not use the cloud and only recently understood about NAS drives. I use neither and just backup to an external USB external hard drive.

This morning I thought that I should have a look at the services that can be found under 'msconfig', and I turned on all the Microsoft ones I had turned off. I wound up having to try the external hard drive several times, but it didn't make any difference. So I connected my I TB drive to a USB port on my computer and left it connected whilst I had lunch - I am in the middle of a hospital procedure. It was on from about 1425 to 1550, so I thought I had succeeded in correcting whatever has gone wrong. NO. I switched off my computer, disconnected the hard drive, re-booted, connected the drive to my hub and switched on my 2 TB drive. It seemed to be working, BUT..... after starting Macrium Reflect it went for a couple of minutes then stopped. It had a message in bright red writing that stated it could not find the drive!! Sometimes after the drive has been dropped it suddenly finds it again. What is interesting is that when the drive has been found before it brings up what it is very quickly - drive letter and what it is called. Now it takes it about 30 seconds to go through this process.

I have not got a clue what is happening to my computer and would be very grateful for any suggestions that you can give me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 04 Jun 2018

Are you plugging into a USB 3 port (blue) or a USB 2 Port (black)? Probably better to use a USB 2 port if its a USB2 external drive.

Housten 11:10 05 Jun 2018

Good Morning, Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thank you very much for your reply, but I think I have sorted the problem out. My desk top unit has - I think - two USB 2 and 3 ports at the back and two USB ports at the front with 1 USB 3 port. I disconnected my hub from the extension cable from the back and plugged it into the USB port at the front and it works exactly as it should. So I have come to the conclusion - executive decision???? - that the USB 3 port at the back is failing. As there are two ports I will try the other out to see if it is the board they are on or the port is at fault. If it falls over in the same way I will use the USB 3 port at the front. Just for information purposes both my 1 TB and 2 TB external drives are USB 3's. I bought them shortly after they came out as I was tired of waiting so long for my backups to be completed.

Writing down my problem has been very helpful and has helped me to solve my problem. I very much appreciate your replies as well. Thank you very much.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Forza Horizon 4 review

Be Warned Mac users - Mojave Breaks Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs