My computer is making a loud "ticking" noise

jepp5879 13:59 27 Mar 2018

Okey, so my computer recently started to make a very loud and very fast ticking noise, and it has become hard for me to ignore. I suspect it has something to do with my fans, since when i tilt my computer just a little the noise changes and reduces. I opened it up yesterday but couldn't seem to find anything blocking the any of my fans. If you guys have any idea of what could cause this noise and how i might be able to fix it, you are more than welcome to come with suggestions :) Thanks!

Forum Editor 14:37 27 Mar 2018

Ticking noises like this are very often associated with a failing fan bearing. The fact that there's a change in the sound when you tilt the case, does point to a fan problem.

Are we talking about a desktop machine? if we are, remember that there is a fan inside the Power Supply unit, as well as one on the CPU and possibly another one on the graphics card. if you open the case and lay it on its side when the computer is running, you should be able to locate the source.

wee eddie 14:51 27 Mar 2018

Do not poke around inside the Power Supply. There are some very high Voltages present

alanrwood 16:15 27 Mar 2018

----- and they remain there even if the computer is switched off and disconnected from the mains.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?