My computer died so I don’t know what to do

Kyletheog 03:22 19 Jun 2018

so I went downstairs to get food while getting food there was a loud ass roar of thunder and it sounded like a gunshot right next to me. But when I go back upstairs to my computer it was completely frozen and nothing would work. So I held down the power button to reset it and after that the button was all orange and nothing would work. After turning my computer back off it would turn it self back on until I turned it off again. Then I waited a day and came back to it the button wasn’t orange anymore when I turned it on but nothing would display and the mouse and keyboard wouldn’t work. But if it was a power surge i don’t get how it broke my computer because I had it in a UPS. Please help

Taff™ 09:45 19 Jun 2018

Have you tried takingthe Power Supply out and holding the Power On button for at least a minute?

If it was a power surge the first casualty might only be the internal Power Supply unit. Get that checked first. In the worst possible scenario it might have blown the motherboard!

Your local PC Repair shop is your friend. Get them to check it out and see what your options are.

Katerine 11:29 19 Jun 2018

It is possible that it might have fried your UPS or the power supply. Try to get those checked before spending big on new parts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:08 19 Jun 2018

One for the repair shop ask for a quote for repairs and they will tell you how much befor replacing parts and you can then decide whether or not its worth it

wee eddie 17:02 19 Jun 2018

A direct lightning strike, or even close by, is enough to fry almost any electrical device.

If you are lucky the UPS and PSU took the hit but there is a considerable likelihood that all the electronics are fried. If you are lucky the Hard Drive has escaped and can be copied into a new PC or even used again

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?