My computer constantly stops working

James Oxborrow 16:50 20 Jan 2017

If i am on the internet at the time, my browser becomes unresponsive and i have to close it but i can not reopen it afterwards, or do anything other than restart my computer. If i am gaming, the whole game freezes and i can not exit, i have to turn my computer off and back on again. This happens almost every half an hour and sometimes even more frequently than that. I don't know if it related but a windows cumulative update keeps failing to install, i have tried to download the script fix that Microsoft have released but it has made no difference.

difarn 17:03 20 Jan 2017

Is your OS Windows 10. Is it the anniversary update? If so there are some suggestions in this article about clearing the update cache.

click here Have you tried restoring your PC to a time before you started to have problems?

James Oxborrow 17:47 20 Jan 2017

yes it is windows 10. i have tried to restore it but it said there was a problem and no changes were made.

rdave13 17:53 20 Jan 2017

Try running the system file checker. Click on start, and in the All Apps list scroll down to Windows PowerShell. Expand by the down arrow, right click Windows PowerShell and select to run as administrator. Type or copy and paste sfc /scannow. Note the space between sfc and the forward diagonal. See if it repairs some violations.

James Oxborrow 18:17 20 Jan 2017

just tried to run Windows PowerShell and after 58% it's telling me that 'windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation'

rdave13 18:31 20 Jan 2017

Shows a possible corruption in Windows. Reboot (not shutdown) the computer and run the command in PowerShell (admin) again. See if it gets further.

James Oxborrow 19:00 20 Jan 2017

it got to 58% again and gave me the same message

rdave13 19:04 20 Jan 2017

Next steps if I'm offline here, if it gets further then run the sfc command again. If it still fails open PowerShell (admin) again and copy and paste DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth . This takes time and is slow to start and slow (after 100% scan) to show results. If components are shown to be corrupt then run the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth , just copy and paste. You'll have to be patient with it. Reboot again.

rdave13 19:09 20 Jan 2017

Just seen your latest post, try sfc one more time.

James Oxborrow 19:16 20 Jan 2017

Now it says 'No component store corruption detected'

James Oxborrow 19:16 20 Jan 2017

sorry, that was for the scan health

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The Huawei P20 Pro is the best phone for artists, designers and photographers

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

TV & Streaming : comment regarder la Supercoupe d’Espagne ?