My Belkin 54g router keeps going off-air

pj123 20:32 05 May 2006

Running Win 98SE with NTL Broadband.

Modem supplied by NTL working OK.

Connected a Belkin 54G router to connect my 2nd desktop PC also running Win 98SE.

Working fine for the last 6 months until today.

After about 20 minutes on the internet all the lights go out on the router (except the power light) and everything freezes.

Only way out is to switch everything off, unplug modem and router wait for about two minutes. Plug modem and router back in, wait another couple of minutes then boot computer. Everything working OK again for another 20 or so minutes then the same thing happens.

I have adaware, spybot, spywareblaster, AVG and Zonealarm installed. Adaware and Spybot found nothing. AVG hasn't flagged up any viruses for ages. The second PC is not switched on.

ade.h 14:22 24 May 2006

Have you tried using that adapter with only its driver (no 3rd-party software), pj? That may help, because Windows tends to like to manage network protocols/security itself where possible.

pj123 14:31 24 May 2006

Hi, ade.h. Not sure what you mean by 3rd party software. I just intalled the USB adapter using the CD that came with it. "Wireless G USB Adapter Installation Software and Manual"

It did ask for the Win 98SE disk which I inserted and OKd. The USB Adapter is F5D7050.

ade.h 15:18 24 May 2006

"Installation Software"

Yep, that's 3rd-party. Anything not from B. Gates, basically!

You can run almost all USB adapters without that software - just the driver - but you have to fully uninstall the hardware and software first, then re-install the adapter by plugging it in, with the driver copied from the CD (or at least the CD in the drive but not running) and let the New Hardware Found wizard install it for you.

It does not cure every USB adapter ailment, but it's well worth trying. A lot of people use this method with great success.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

ade.h 15:21 24 May 2006

I have just noticed that this is your 98SE PC - which I should have remembered really. In which case, you'll need the software to control the adapter because of 98SE's lack of inbuilt wireless support.

Never mind, eh!

pj123 15:34 24 May 2006

Thanks ade.h for all your help now, and in the past. No, not stupid. Most Forum Members will assume Win XP (even me and I am still on Win 98SE).

It isn't too much of a problem to keep entering the Key when logging in, just annoying.

I do have a friend who is pretty clued up on Networking/Internet, but I thought I would try and solve this one myself instead of dragging him out to me. Have emailed him and he is coming over when he has an hour or so to spare. He charges £15 an hour but from me all he gets is coffee and bacon sandwich.

pj123 12:59 25 May 2006

Just noticed that the Profile keeps incrementing itself by 1 every time I boot the computer.

It started off as being Profile Name: belkin125g. The next time I booted the PC the Profile was belkin125g0 and then belkin125g1 and now today it is belkin125g2.

Is this normal?

ade.h 14:56 25 May 2006

No, not normal at all methinks. But why, I don't know. Mysterious.

If I remember right, your bacon sarnies have an enviable reputation (I seem to remember them coming up in a discussion some time ago) so I think he's getting a fair deal! ;-)

pj123 15:13 25 May 2006

ade.h, you do remember right. Both me and Djohn (not heard of on this Forum for a while) both offered visitors Coffee and Bacon Sarnies.

Who could refuse a Bacon Sarnie???

I'll live with it as it is now. As long as I run through the routine and enter the Key it works OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)