My BB constantly disconnecting...

AngeTheHippy 10:43 04 Sep 2004

Morning Chaps,
I took the plunge and went BB in July, with Eclipse.co.uk. Reason I chose them was that they constantly rated high or top provider on ADSLguide.org. At first, absolutely no probs at all. After a few weeks, noticed (couldn't help noticing really...)that during later evening and in the night (yep; I too sit staring at the monitor during the wee small hours)I get disconnected rather a lot. It starts about 21:00hrs and progressively gets worse. Last Monday, within an hour, it disconnected no less than 14 times. Now, I've asked Eclipse about this, they suggested a few diagnostics, which I did, to no avail, and said it wasn't their fault, must be BT. Does anyone else have these problems? It's been suggested that BT tend to carry out repairs/upgrades etc. during the night and this could well be the reasons for the disruptions. I don't particularly want to ditch Eclipse and try another provider, as the've been extremely helpful with other queries I've had, can't fault them there. Can I have ya thoughts on this please?

Ta muchley,

AngeTheHippy
xx

Graham ® 11:41 04 Sep 2004

I can assure you that BT do not routinely do repairs/upgrades during the night, there is no need to do so.

At a time when the drop-outs are occuring, lift your phone and dial a digit to break dial tone. Listen for any noise.

If nothing heard, dial 151 and follow the prompts to test your line. If all clear, follow the prompts again to report a fault, intermittent noise at night. BT will be obliged to carry out a more extensive test.

If still no solution, ask Eclipse to raise a broadband fault with BT (only your ISP can do this).

Finally, I doubt whether changing ISP would resolve your problem.

2neat 12:11 04 Sep 2004

Have u got a USB modem? In device manager right click USB root hub, properties and click the power management tab. Untick allow pewter to turn off, and save. Do the same in network adaptor for your modem and save. Reboot.
This info was given by BT as I too was getting disconnected. Let us know if/how you resolve this.

Graham ® 12:52 04 Sep 2004

Also in Device Manager, USB root hub, check the Power tab to see if another device is drawing power. A BB modem needs all the power on one hub.

spuds 14:00 04 Sep 2004

What is the modem and motherboard that you are using. If they consist of a Thomson SpeedTouch modem and a motherboard with SIS ALI chipset then this could be your problem with diconnections.There is a known problem, which Thomson and some ISP's are aware.

The recent stormy weather could have an effect via your BT line, and it would be worth a 151 check.

AngeTheHippy 14:56 04 Sep 2004

Thanks Graham, I will do as you suggested - can virtually guarantee that I'll get disconnected during this evening, so will try it.

2neat, OK, I've done what you suggested there, unticked in device manager.

Graham again, just looked in USB root hub, and only the ADSL SpeedTouch modem is using that hub - no other items there.

Spuds, the Motherboard was actually upgraded a couple weeks back, but the problem started way before then, and is just the same.

One other thing though, all of you might know the answer to, I've been advised that a powered USB hub would be far better for the modem that using the PCs power to use it. This sound feasible to untrained little ol' me, so what do you think about that? They're not too expensive, can get 'em about £15.oo

AngeTheHippy
xxx

AngeTheHippy 14:57 04 Sep 2004

Thanks Graham, I will do as you suggested - can virtually guarantee that I'll get disconnected during this evening, so will try it.

2neat, OK, I've done what you suggested there, unticked in device manager.

Graham again, just looked in USB root hub, and only the ADSL SpeedTouch modem is using that hub - no other items there.

Spuds, the Motherboard was actually upgraded a couple weeks back, but the problem started way before then, and is just the same.

One other thing though, all of you might know the answer to, I've been advised that a powered USB hub would be far better for the modem that using the PCs power to use it. This sound feasible to untrained little ol' me, so what do you think about that? They're not too expensive, can get 'em about £15.00

AngeTheHippy
xxx

Graham ® 17:56 04 Sep 2004

One other thing to try: Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System. If anything tallies with a disconnection time, highlight it, Action, Properties.

Graham ® 17:58 04 Sep 2004

Pressed the wrong button!

This wiil give information about the event, and you can click on the Microsoft link for more info.

spuds 20:33 04 Sep 2004

AngeTheHippy..I note that you have the Thomson SpeedTouch modem.Did the previous motherboard and the replacement, have they the same chipset [SIS ALI]?

I have similar disconnections problem.Thomson suggested that a Belkin F5D5000uk PCI card or similar may help or a self-powered usb hub, if the SIS ALI chipset was used.

AngeTheHippy 22:23 04 Sep 2004

yeah, everything the same except the motherboard. If a self-powered hub is the same as a powered hub, with an electrical plug for it's own power supply, then yeah, my last reply mentions these. I think I'll buy one anyway, and take it from there...

cheers,

AngeTheHippy
x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?