Multiple Windows opening out of control

Halmer 19:00 07 Jan 2003
  Halmer 19:00 07 Jan 2003

When I tried to view a response to my last thread via the e-mail link my PC ended up opening multiple windows saying something like 'take a look at this offer' at the top of it.

Thought I'd got a virus for a minute or two. Can anyone explain why this might happen please. I had to reboot my PC twice to stop it happening.

Foolsbane_1 19:27 07 Jan 2003

Sounds like a pop-up storm but I don't think PCA go in for that sort of thing. Are you certain you clicked on the link to the PCA site and not a different one which might have been included in the email?

Halmer 20:37 07 Jan 2003

so I can't test it.

It would have been unusual for me to click on the wrong link twice tho'

It happened after the PCA log in screen came up and I pressed the 'Log In' button.

May have been coincidence. Seems fine now. Must have opened thirty windows tho. Frightened me to death! Had to reboot the PC.

I also had an error message the first time along the lines of 'someone else is using the telephone connection' God knows who that is!!

Anator11 20:40 07 Jan 2003

make sure you delete unwanted cookies in the temporary internet files folder every now and then, as these can trigger pop ups

hellred 10:30 08 Jan 2003

Just hold down the CTRL Key and press W repeatetly untill the popups are closed and you wont have to re-start the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?