MSN Messenger;?signed in & on-line when you arnt!

p;3 12:59 28 Mar 2005

click here

is this right; this thread says "even when they are not signed in to it, other contacts can see they are on line and send instant messages";
(I am on win 98se and BB)
I have MSN messenger on here;until I physically sign-in to it I am assuming and presuming that my contacts cannot see that I am on my pc and have the MSN program on my desctop but as yet not logged in to it;

at this point in time my MSN is "closed" but available fom me to log in and open;in its present state , can my contacts send me a message; and if so how?

(sorry, does that make sense?)

BH34 13:25 28 Mar 2005

I am sign-in to MSN Messenger now but I appear offline so no one can send me an instant message

p;3 19:21 28 Mar 2005

this does not really answer my original question:(

VoG II 22:30 28 Mar 2005

This does not make a lot of sense.

If you log into Messenger then you see a list of your contacts and whether they are on or off line.

BUT if they are offline that is all you see.

So I'm as puzzled as p;3.

p;3 22:45 28 Mar 2005

according to what I am reading;

if I send a message to a contact that is at present on my MSN as showing as off -line, they will, nevertheless receive it;am going to test something out for myself:)

jbp1982 23:18 28 Mar 2005

you can send "off line" messages from any messenger whether it MSN or yahoo etc, the recipient will recieve it when they log in.

Compare it to email if you like, the other person does not need to be signed into his account for you to actually email him. He'll recieve the said email when he signs into his account.

jbp1982 23:24 28 Mar 2005

In relation to that other thread I can only assume that MSN messenger is SET to remember his daughters' user ID & password and logs in automatically upon the PC being booted.

If this is the case then he actually didn't physically log in, the program did.

p;3 23:25 28 Mar 2005

"you can send "off line" messages from any messenger whether it MSN or yahoo etc, the recipient will recieve it when they log in.
Compare it to email if you like, the other person does not need to be signed into his account for you to actually email him. He'll recieve the said email when he signs into his account."

am going to test this out when my contacts are available to do so; have just run a test but other party has had to sign off, so cannot get feedback ; and I will need to e mail as well to ensure we are "reading from the same scrpit " when we do it:)

I am discussing MSN messenger here and NOT Windows Messaging, which I believe is a different program:)

jbp1982 23:34 28 Mar 2005

Yeah, I have it on my computer. I know what I said, I wrote it. Your are not very clear. If your not signed in to MSN then no they can't see you from my experience.

Sorry if I spoke out of turn or caused offense in some way, I will watch to see the result of test however.

Kind Regards

JBP

p;3 23:43 28 Mar 2005

I am going to run a test with this when my contact IS on line just for the hell of it to see for myself what can and cannot be done; and use e mail to keep in touch for feed back :)

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 00:11 29 Mar 2005

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz,

havnt you been given the answer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?