MSN MESSENGER WEB CAM NO SOUND

runnerblade 19:50 10 May 2004

HI,CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE ,I CAN ESTABLISH A VIDEO LINK WITH MY FRIEND VIA MSN MESSENGER BUT WE CANNOT HEAR EACH OTHER.
WE BOTH USE ZONE ALARM FIRE WALLS BUT DONT THINK THATS THE PROBLEM.
WE HAVE TRIED AOL 9 IM BUT MY FRIEND IS NOT USING XP SO IT WONT WORK.
CAN ANYBODY HELP OR RECOMMEND A WAY OF ESTABLISHING TWO COMMUNICATION BOTH WITH SOUND AND VISON MANY THANKS

bremner 19:56 10 May 2004

Assuming you have run the Audio Wizard and checked all the microphone connections and settings.

This is an often heard problem that people can not seem to solve - a solution is to use Yahoo Messenger which does not appear to suffer this problem.

Daz35 19:58 10 May 2004

Probably a silly question, but do you have a microphone plugged in? Some webcams come with them built in and some don't.
Have you tried just having a voice conversation?
It also can depend on your connection and your upload speed.

runnerblade 20:00 10 May 2004

THANKS BREMNER, HAVE TRIED AUDIO WIZARD BUT NO CHANGE WILL TRY YAHOO

runnerblade 20:02 10 May 2004

TO DAZ35 THANKS FOR RESPONDING, YES HAVE TRIED AUDIO ONLY AND THAT DONT WORK EITHER

runnerblade 20:05 10 May 2004

PERHAPS I SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT WE BOTH HAVE BROADBAND AND HAVE CHECKED ALL THE SETTINGS AND CONNECTIONS IF NO MORE RESPONSES WILL TRY YAHOO MUST GO NOW THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Graham ® 20:52 10 May 2004

Have you checked the caps lock key? :-)

anniecat 07:38 12 May 2004

I haven't used it for a while but I assume when you use your web cam you get "net meeting" window, in the file, edit, etc at top of window in drop down section I think in "file" there is an option to check which says something like "always accept incoming voice/sound" or similar.. this needs to be checked. There is also in tools or options another similar option regarding allowing video this also should be checked but as you can see each other that seems to be the case, this doesn't relate to the sound anyway. Below the video window are some buttons, one refers to the sound I think you can change the volume with this on a slide bar.

It's a long time since I used it and have never used the webcam with the newer versions of messenger so things might have changed. My cam and mic are not connected now so I am struggling to remember the exact actions to take, but the audio conversation has always been an issue with messenger. I've given up trying to talk to my friend who uses XP home and I use 98SE. We've never been able to use it since she upgraded to XP, sending and receiving files is also a problem. Could this also be something to do with your problem. ?

mdshamilton 09:05 12 May 2004

I've been battling with this problem for awhile. The only solution I've found is to use a separate microphone for MSN and Yahoo Messenger as the one that is integral to the webcam gets a lot of feedback and echoes via these chat services. If you test the integral mic, it works fine - but try to get it to work OK chatting... Using a cheap separate mic works fine.

I assume you're using a logitech webcam? Here is the response that Logitech give out:

"Dear Logitech Customer,

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Customer Support.

I am sorry for the issue you are experiencing when using the Camera in messenger
software.

I am sending you a link to a document that may assist you in using Logitech
camera with MSN. Please be advised that you would be using third party software,
which is not manufactured by us. We do not support the usage of our camera in
third party software. However, we have provided some help with the setting up
and using the camera in MSN.

Click on the link listed below for the information you may need for assistance.
click here

You may have to contact the support staff of MSN Messenger for further
assistance.

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to
visit our website at click here. Thank you for your interest in Logitech.

Regards,

Arti
Logitech Customer Support."

anchor 13:21 12 May 2004

This is an old problem which I, and others, on the forum have reported. Even Microsoft really could not supply an answer. I ended up using Yahoo Messenger, and others recommended Eyeball chat.

If you do manage to resolve it, please post back saying how it was done.

Baslla321 13:39 12 May 2004

I had this problem too. First both sides must have Win XP and MSN Messenger ver 6.1.0207.Then make sure that ZoneAlarm firewall is selected at medium not high. I was told to take off 'Qos packet' on LAN connection and my XP pro ICF (internet Connection firewall). Then try the MSN Messenger Video & Audio wizard from Tools to confirm. Mine finally did work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?