MSN Messenger vs Skype (for audio)

Audeal 00:06 14 Oct 2004

LMcG: Many of us have experienced The same problems with MSN Messenger. I downloaded Firefly, which is an Australian Internet Telephone service similar to the Skype that you mention. I used Messenger to view the web cam and Firefly to chat.

I did find that when using both these programs the camera tends to use a lot of the computers resources and causes the audio to break up and can sometimes be so bad that it is impossible to hear the other persons conversation.

I have not heard of Skype before today and I do intend to give it a try when I can persuade some of my family to follow suit. Being able to transfer files will be an advantage over Firefly as you can't do that with Firefly.

I do think the only way to use both programs successfully is to have a good, fast setup. I have 1gig Processor and 512mb of Ram on my XP Pro. and that seems to slow to do the job properly. More Ram and a faster Processor might sort it out. I chat to my brother in Australia and we no longer use the camera, so now we have no problems chatting to each other, we just can't see each other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)