msn messenger 6

[DELETED] 12:33 29 Jul 2003

my msn messenger 6 program closes down when i am trying to sign on. this is becomming frustrating does any one have any ideas?

[DELETED] 12:42 29 Jul 2003

do you still have msn 4.7 and/or msn 5 still installed?? If yes uninstall them.

[DELETED] 13:07 29 Jul 2003

How do i uninstall them? i know there is a way but i can't remember the command line

[DELETED] 13:09 29 Jul 2003

Control Panel, Add / Remove Programs

[DELETED] 13:22 29 Jul 2003

VoG
Sat, 26.07.03 | 17:44

If you actually want to remove Windows Messenger

Start, Run

Type the following line:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

[DELETED] 13:24 29 Jul 2003

Chegs ® posting will completely remove Messenger and it maybe be difficult to reinstall Messenger after that.

Chegs ® - READ THE THREAD FIRST.

[DELETED] 13:28 29 Jul 2003

thanks guys i will get round to this presently. I'm going out now so i will post back here later. Thank-you for your help.

[DELETED] 13:30 29 Jul 2003

Also do you have a Popup stopper running??

[DELETED] 13:34 29 Jul 2003

It does say...."If you actually want to remove Windows Messenger " or alternatively,a trip across to another site(that I couldn't find the page for,it was in someone elses postings)offers numerous tweaks for XP including disable/remove Messenger,I had a similar prob,each time I signed in to Msn 6,I got booted straight back out as it said I was already signed in somewhere else,removed MSN 4.7 and had no further troubles.

[DELETED] 13:36 29 Jul 2003

Chegs that seems to be my problem right there

[DELETED] 13:37 29 Jul 2003

Sorry but when i used that to remove Messenger from a clients PC (to stop their child using it) 3 months later they wanted it back on (because their child wanted to us it) i found that the only way to reinstall Messnger was a Windows Reinstall.

Having said that not really 100% sure that was due to using that command line - there were other issues.

Sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

PostPanic's latest short film is a thrilling love letter to film and TV history

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet (2018)