MSN .com Disply picture

Cesare 11:57 01 May 2006

I have Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180_xpsp_sp2.

Since I installed updates this morning KB905474 my MSN display picture is alongated. Items are shown one below each other ! Msn now tells me that,' The browser cannot find our style & presentation information and as a result may not display the page properly. The remedy this, upgrade your browser to the latest version..... Well, I think this is the latest version. I tried IE7 and uninstalled it as it was giving me trouble. Any help appreciated.

ACOLYTE 12:20 01 May 2006

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications notifies you if a copy of Microsoft Windows XP is not genuine. The notification messages are displayed only on computers that have failed the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process and that are running a copy of Windows XP that is not genuine. If you are running a validated, genuine copy of Windows XP, you will not receive notification messages.

So you don't really need to get this update if you have a genuine copy of windows.

If you downloaded any program, IE: Windows Defender, MS does a check to confirm your copy is legit. This is stored on the system. So your system is identified later on as having been confirmed as being a genuine copy of Windows for future updates and downloads.

Just my opinion others may disagree).

Having said all that i have downloaded and installed this update and have had no detrimental effects from it,so there may be a simpler solution that simply not installing the update.

This update i think was introduced because someone found a way to "crack" the windows genuine validation thing by altering javascript code or somthing.

HTH

Cesare 13:42 01 May 2006

Thank you for your kind reply. I solved the problem by going to Restore point, and all is fine. I think that some error occured during downloading and installing the update. This never happened to me before, as I never had any problem with MS windows updates. Best regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?