Msi gx740 upgrade 1st gen i7 720qm to i7 920xm

Jason Attard 04:48 13 Dec 2018

Hi I currently have an old msi gx740 with a i7 720qm processor I have read everywhere that I can upgrade to the i7 920xm, I got the reconditioned processor and fitted it but the laptop will now not turn on, every example. I have seen of this upgrade has worked with this straight swap, but not sure if it will work on msi? Do u think it needs a bios update or is it incompatible,??

DyraSan 05:53 13 Dec 2018

sorry, I too have the same issue with MSI GT70.

This morning I downloaded a game from Steam and about ten minutes into the game, my laptop completely shut off and now will not turn on. I have never dropped it or spilled anything on it and I had it set to go into sleep mode after 5 minutes without touching it. There is no sign of life when I try to turn it on. The power supply work fine with my external monitor so I know it isn't that. I've also tried every variation of unplugging the power cable and battery and holding down the power button but nothing has worked so far. I don't think the laptop has overheated because I have it sitting on a cooling pad and I rarely ever move the laptop. Any ideas on how I can fix this? It is under warranty but I'd rather not have to send it in and wait a month to get it back.

DyraSan 04:58 15 Dec 2018

Please share your ideas to fix my issue.

thanks, san

wee eddie 12:52 15 Dec 2018

Spam - FE told

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor View 20 review

How Esports branding got a brand new look

Best free Mac apps

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2019)