MS Word 2010 file has changed

Yimbo 16:02 29 Sep 2018
Answered

In my Word 2010, there's a file which I regularly add, alter or delete information as required, which has suddenly become a "read only" file. How can I restore all the editing functions as previously? Thanks!

wiganken2 17:32 29 Sep 2018
Answer

Try doing a "File Save-as" but keep the same location and give it a new file name by simply adding a '1' or some other character to it. Hopefully the new file will not be read-only. Delete the existing file and you can then 'rename' the new file to be the same as the old one by removing the extra character.

lotvic 17:39 29 Sep 2018

In File Explorer, Right-click on the docx, choose properties and Untick 'Read Only'

Yimbo 23:27 30 Sep 2018

Thanks folks - - Your advice was spot on! I've now got the issue sorted. Your help was much appreciated.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9