MS Word 2003, headers and footer - seperate docs

Bramblerose 15:55 16 Jul 2005

Hi

Is there any way that I can change or delete a header or footer in several seperate documents without having to open each document - I have about 30 documents that have the same header and I need to change it!

Thanks

Taff36 16:38 16 Jul 2005

I don`t think it is possible to "batch process" this but by opening each document and using the "Find and Replace" facility (Ctrl + H key) it can be done quickly because that facility retains the last information from one use to another.

Bramblerose 22:53 16 Jul 2005

I was hoping there was something somewhere that would do what I want to do - I may look into creating a master document instead - it would certainly make making changes easier (I think!)

Taff36 00:49 17 Jul 2005

If I understand you correctly all 30 documents have exactly the same text as a header. If so changing them means opening say 10 at a time, finding and replacing the same text (With new formatting if you wish) in each document , saving and closing each one. I reckon it would only take 30 minutes but a master document or a new template would be on better ongoing option to create further documents. Have you tried doing one to check if it works in Word 2003? (I have 2002)

Bramblerose 18:38 17 Jul 2005

I haven't checked yet to see if a master document works but the header/footers contain a logo and text which I have found an easy way to delete by using a macro from click here

I now have just blank documents which may make it easier to create a master document... either that or I will copy and paste the new headers/footer into all the documents.

I have found some useful info about creating master documents - It used to be easy when using Microsoft Binder which was in office 97 - that's my next step to see if that still exists or if that is what a Master Document is in 2003.

Thanks for your help though!

Bramblerose 18:39 17 Jul 2005

By blank docs I mean header and footerless - the main text is still in them!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?