Hot Topics

MS Outlook 2019 not receiving emails

awest3 16:20 06 Feb 2020
Answered

HI, I use office 2019 outlook. All ok for 6 months or more. Yesterday I got a request for the password (I have them written down so I know its correct). It seems that its just the receive element which has a problem the send works ok as do another account I have set up. Whilst initially I could use my iPad/iPhone (using same password) these are now failing again with a verification issue (incorrect id or password). I can logon to the account online (its a sky/Yahoo account) with no issues. I've changed the password via the online account and updated the iPhone/iPad to reflect this but to no avail. I've tried a few online suggestions but have not had any success.....If anyone has any ideas they will be gratefully accepted. Thanks Al

awest3 16:26 06 Feb 2020

should have mentioned got a -err[sys/temp] server error msg....when I check the failure in outlook. seems to imply the error is temporary but its been nearly 48 hours now.

wee eddie 17:28 06 Feb 2020

Is BT your ISP by any chance?

Secret-Squirrel 08:46 07 Feb 2020

awest, Sky|Yahoo recently changed the way that authentication works on their servers so that's why all your devices have started having problems.

Don't despair though - all you need to do is to generate a different "app password" for all your email clients. Click here then follow the instructions in the "Install via 16 character App Password" section.

awest3 12:45 07 Feb 2020
Answer

Thanks Secret-Squirrel....life saver.... I was going mad there for a while.

How come there was no notification of this change..? Must be a few people like myself who did not know.

Thanks again Al

awest3 12:46 07 Feb 2020

Thanks for your reply wee eddie. No I'm with sky/yahoo. Sky for BB and yahoo for mail.

wee eddie 13:02 07 Feb 2020

The common denominator is Yahoo (and MS Office's version of Outlook).

I get that little box asking for e re-entry of your password, every now and again. It has nothing to do with you password, it means that there is some sort of glitch on their eMail Server and it will resume normal service sometime. Could be anything from 10 minutes to 10 hours time.

Most frustrating.

Secret-Squirrel 13:54 07 Feb 2020

It has nothing to do with you password, it means that there is some sort of glitch on their eMail Server and it will resume normal service sometime. Could be anything from 10 minutes to 10 hours time.

Rubbish.

Did you read and understand when I said "Sky|Yahoo recently changed the way that authentication works on their servers"? The only way to fix the problem is to either use Oauth (Open Authentication) or generate a 16-character app password. No amount of waiting will fix the Sky|Yahoo email issue.

wee eddie 15:06 07 Feb 2020

SS: Mr G is right. If you get that box, don't tear your hair out, just wait

Secret-Squirrel 15:59 07 Feb 2020

.....................what myself and eddie described has been going on literally for years hence me mentioning the 5yr we have a problem message..................Mr G is right. If you get that box, don't tear your hair out, just wait

You and Eddie appear to be discussing BT Mail problems while Al and I having been discussing his Sky email problem. They're two very different things and your comments and anecdotes are helping no one.

Have a look at the Sky forums email section if you don't believe me and you'll notice a massive number of new posts starting a few days ago. However, none of the advice there will help with your BT problems because you're not with Sky ;)

wee eddie 17:38 07 Feb 2020

I am told that both Sky and BT rely on Yahoo's eMail Servers.

That is why we weighed in

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €