MS Office Pro 2007 Beta2 disk

Brambley 16:42 17 Jun 2006

Received my PC Advisor with Office Beta disk today and note that it says, in RED, across the top 'Full version works until Feb 2007'. What I would like to know is - what happens in February? Do I have to buy a new version then - or does it self-distruct?

The write up on page 48-49 says I can only save new docs in XML formats - but does not explain what this format is and how it differs from Office 2003 format.

As I am currently about to start the 6th chapter of my PhD thesis I am loathe to change horses mid-stream - but I am very much tempted by the new Word 2007 and think that it could improve presentation and make footnotes so much easier.

Anyone got advice please?

VoG II 16:47 17 Jun 2006

If I were you I would steer well clear of this.

It is a BETA which you should never run with mission critical computers or data. A PhD thesis strikes me as pretty mission critical!

Jackcoms 16:52 17 Jun 2006

It's self-destructs and also wipes all info from your HDD (Word, Excel, e-mails, etc).

In fact, it will be so completely destroyed that, not only will you have to purchase a new copy of Office, but your PC/laptop will also need replacing.

Apart from that, I agree entirely with VoG™. ;-)

Brambley 17:09 17 Jun 2006

Thanks for your reply VoG, I think I half-expected that advice really, boring old commonsense says I ought to wait and finish my work first, oh well.......it did sound tempting!

How about the questions though? - would still like to know the answers.

VoG II 17:12 17 Jun 2006

You may find answers if you click here

VoG II 17:14 17 Jun 2006
  Brambley 17:23 17 Jun 2006

Thank you very much Jackcoms!!! I don't think my supervisor would be very pleased about that (if it were true). :-)

Brambley 17:32 17 Jun 2006

Thanks very much indeed for the 'click here'links. Will confess now....
I downloaded the Office Beta from one of these sites about a week ago and after it had finished downloading I got a message from my dear old PC asking me if I really wanted to run the thing as it was not AUTHORIZED! At that point I chickened out and went back to the restore point I had made just prior to downloading.
Perhaps I had a lucky escape, but will certainly be up for the new Office as soon as I have finished my thesis. 'Bye now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?