MP3 player syntax error

bananaz 11:42 11 Aug 2006

Hi, ive been playing with a MP3 player (like an ipod nano, but made by OEM)
It is a 4Gb flash drive & shows up as a removable storage hard drive, so i just drag & drop the music onto it in the normal way etc..
The problem i have found, is that when i fill up the MP3 player, it changes some of the file labels into some very strange symbols like this: )p- v1Év.WB_)

The MP3 player does not show this awful jargon on its main root menu & only shows the folders/tracks that will play.
Ive plugged the MP3 player back into my PC & have found that a couple of albums on the MP3 player are fine & not corrupt & yet they dont show on the screen of the MP3 player.
If i try & delete or open these corrupt labeled folders i see the message:

'Not Accessible' 'The file name, directory name, or volume label sytax is incorrect'

It seems to occur when i go over 2Gb of music.
All music i am putting onto the MP3 player is 100% fine & in the correct format. The only way i can remove these corrupt folders, is to do a format of the drive. I have even selected a previous corrupt folder & dropped it the MP3 player by itself, with no other folders on it & it plays perfectly.
This is the second MP3 player i have tried as the first one behaved in exactly the same manner.
Would you say this is a 'dud' cheapy MP3 player? Or am i missing something?
I have already dug a hole to bury it in my garden, in anticipation that technically this MP3 player is 'pants' lol.
Thanks in advance kind ppl.

bananaz 23:57 15 Aug 2006

Just to close this post & also hopefully help others in a similar situation:

The MP3 player is part of a huge scam.
The player is only infact 2Gb. It has been flashed & had a new set of instructions installed to make it think that it is 4Gb in size, which does show up as a 4Gb removable drive when plugged into a PC.
This fully explains why some music files became corrupt, when the storage went over 2Gb.
The people who do this to the MP3 players know that a 4Gb MP3 player will sell for more profit than a 2Gb player.
There are 1000's of these imitation nano MP3 players on the market, mostly on aution sites & they all claim to be double the capacity that they actually are. I have read many forum posts about this scam & most people seem to have ended up with a 512Mb or 1Gb player, so the one i have been playing with is one of the lucky one's, as 2Gb is still quite a large storage device.
The moral of the story:
Buy the real thing, as you know for sure what you are getting!

vinnyT 14:38 16 Aug 2006

Interesting, thanks for the 2nd post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?