Moving XP to Windows 7 re I Tunes

iscanut 15:20 11 Jan 2010

Has anyone converted to Win 7 from XP and also moved their I Tunes music files ? I was wondering if the move affects the digital rights of the music files or does the move not affect them at all.

john bunyan 15:33 11 Jan 2010

Yes, I have. My primary drive was partitioned C for system and F: for data including MY Documents". My two iTunes folders and libraries were in F: /My Documents/My Music.
The system partition was formatted and I installed the 64 bit version of i Tunes. I kept my old filing system on the F: Drive (not formatted) and i Tunes worked fine. I have two accounts, two libraries and 3 iPods in use by various grandchildren etc. As a back up I use FreeFileSynch to keep a mirror image of "My Documents" on an external drive as well as an ATI image, so you could use that if you wished (or even a normal copy of your i Tunes folder) so you could simpy re - import it to the new arrangememt.No probs with DRM etc - in any case you are allowed up to 5 computers in i Tunes. I think I had to authorise an apparently new computer when the new i Tunes started.THe programme files for iTunes are seperate from the data.JB

iscanut 19:39 15 Jan 2010

Thanks for the response John.

john bunyan 22:27 15 Jan 2010

Good luck with it!! Do a back up first! JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts