Moving Swap file to its own partition

exbrat67 19:00 31 Jul 2003

Running XP with 256 RAM I am proposing to move the swap file to it's own partition. Currently the swap file+RAM is a little under 1.gig.
I believe windows allocates it's own swap file size and I thought that a partition of 2.gig would be OK, or does anyone have other suggestions

polar_king 19:52 31 Jul 2003

putting swap file in its own partition, would have the hard drive working all the time, separate drive is an option, but I am running XP with 256 ddr, and I have disabled the swap file altogether, and it flys.

powerless 19:57 31 Jul 2003

1 gig of a RAM?

Unless your doing some pretty heavy data shifting i doubt it would swap very often anyway.

To answer your question:

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Settings(first one) > Advanced > Change...

DieSse 21:56 31 Jul 2003

Putting the swap file in it's own partition may actually slow things down. A new partion will be further away from where the disk heads are most of the time - therefore to access the swap file they may have further to move - further to move means more time - thus slower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?