Moving memory in hard drive

golfpro 04:12 18 Jan 2010

The H/D on my Acer lap-top (5720G) is split into two partitions. The C drive is now getting short of memory, so I would like to grab some from the D drive and move it over to C. How do I do this?

tullie 06:46 18 Jan 2010

I think you must mean that your C Partition is getting full dont you,they dont have seperate memory?

mgmcc 08:37 18 Jan 2010

If you're using Vista, Disk Management has the facility to "shrink" or "extend" a volume. This means that you could "shrink" D Drive to create Unallocated Space and then "extend" C Drive to take in the Unallocated Space.

THE PROBLEM others have encountered when doing this is that the now smaller D Drive is between C Drive and the Unallocated Space preventing C Drive from using it.

Have a look at the free "Easeus Partition Master" software which should let you manipulate your partition structure as you want it click here

golfpro 09:10 18 Jan 2010

The problem is when I installed Windows 7 over the vista program (clean install), it stuffed all the old files somewhere, and this is what's taking up the space. I want get rid of these but I can't even find them. So if anyone can tell me how this is done I will be eternally grateful.

tullie 09:28 18 Jan 2010

Have a look for Windows.old i think!

golfpro 12:03 18 Jan 2010

That kind help I can do without. If that's the best you can do then don't bother replying.

cream. 12:19 18 Jan 2010

windows.old is a file stored on some upgraded computers that contain the old operating system files.
click here

I think you owe tullie an apology.

Also google for treesize to check hidden files.

keef66 12:21 18 Jan 2010

tullie means if you search for files with a *.old extension, you may discover where it's put them.

+2 for using Easeus; it often turns up free on - you just have to look on the site every day cos you have only a 24hr window to download and install.

That's what I used to sort out my son's laptop; during setup he'd split the HDD 50:50 between C and D, and of course the C: partition was filling up.

mgmcc 12:27 18 Jan 2010

"tullie" is actually quite correct in that the files remaining from the Vista installation will be in a folder named Windows.old

Have a look at this discussion click here relating to the removal of the Windows.old folder in Windows 7.

mgmcc 12:32 18 Jan 2010

>>> +2 for using Easeus; it often turns up free on
>>> - you just have to look on
>>> the site every day cos you have only a 24hr
>>> window to download and install.

The Home Edition of Easeus Partition Master *is FREE* ????

golfpro 13:34 18 Jan 2010

Thanks a lot for that the discussion thread worked a treat, managed to claw back over 25GB on my C drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?