Moving Mail

blazingbadger 08:50 22 May 2009

Can any one tell me how to move an item or items of mail from Windows mail to a folder on my computer.

oldbeefer2 09:11 22 May 2009

Not sure about windows mail, but in other email progs you can 'export' from the 'file' list.

Taff™ 09:30 22 May 2009

Simply open the folder in Windows Explorer, then drag the e-mail from your Windows Mail (InBox for example) and drop it into the folder. It will be copied with a .eml file extension.

Pineman100 09:32 22 May 2009

Just to clarify, I presume you mean that you want to move the email from your Inbox to a different folder within Windows Mail. Is that right?

If so, then you need to create the folder, and then just drag-and-drop the email into it.

If you're thinking that you can save an email to a folder outside Windows Mail, then that's rather more complex an issue. An email is not a discrete file like, eg: a Word document. It's part of a database. So that precludes the possibility of saving it individually to a folder elsewhere on your computer. But you could, as oldbeefer2 suggests, export your entire Inbox to a different folder.

Taff™ 11:47 22 May 2009

"If you're thinking that you can save an email to a folder outside Windows Mail, then that's rather more complex an issue. An email is not a discrete file like, eg: a Word document. It's part of a database. So that precludes the possibility of saving it individually to a folder elsewhere on your computer."

Sorry Pineman100 - that`s not accurate! Try it for yourself. ;o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 22 May 2009
  lotvic 12:07 22 May 2009

I would have thought it was the same way as it is in Outlook Express,
When I want to save a copy of an individual email to another folder (in My Documents for example) I just highlight it and then go to File > Save As
then I save it to wherever wanted. It becomes an *.eml file that I can doubleclick on to open.

Pineman100 13:40 22 May 2009

I tried it myself, and you're absolutely right. Many thanks for the correction.

Apologies, blazingbadger.

Taff™ 17:47 22 May 2009

No problem! It`s a handy way to back up important e-mails individually and saves having to search through Outlook folders for a vital piece of information.

blazingbadger 19:15 22 May 2009

oldbeefer2 Yes export works Thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?