Moving from Dial-up to Broadband

Sapins 15:36 26 Oct 2003

I now have the opportunity to change to Broadband and my ISP has asked me to choose a modem for 98 or XP, does it matter which modem you use or will it work on either? I thought I would just choose a USB modem and that would work on my dual boot system, 98SE on "C" and XP on "D" drives or will there be problems?

Also is Broadband more reliable than dial-up or are you likely to have the same connection problems? I ask because my ISP has had a lot of connection problems lately and I don't want to change if these kind of problems will continue, I would rather try another ISP.

Lastly, is Broadband truly always "on" and you just open your browser and choose a site. I ask because I read somewhere that you still have to "connect" each time!

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 15:58 26 Oct 2003

Hi Steve71163 and tlong, thanks for your responses.

I live in France and am with Wanadoo, they seem to have problems fairly frequently and I wondered if this would be the case with their Broadband service, or is broadband more reliable?

Sapins 20:31 26 Oct 2003

Thanks Ken Ju-On,Wak and A_World_Maker, your input is very much appreciated.

I don't have any experience of Wanadoo's broadband service nor do I know anyone who has so I can't find out how reliable the broadband service is! and I cannot check the box as I have to subscribe to broadband and then Wanadoo sends the modem. As to the Ethernet modem, do I need any special connection for that?

I will have to leave for now, will check again in the morning. All your help is very welcome and useful.

Regards,

Sapins

Sapins 11:06 27 Oct 2003

A_World_Maker, I'll look at Tiscali and see what they offer.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Regards,

Sapins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor View 20 review

How Esports branding got a brand new look

Best free Mac apps

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2019)