Mouse jumping over the place.

Pooke 10:30 09 Jul 2005

It does it for a few seconds at a time and from what I can tell it's at completetly random times. It's an optical mouse on the PS/2 port. Running XP on a very clean system, I have ran a multitude of scans and the system is clear of nasties.

I have tried different mouse mats, reinstalling the software, updating the software/drivers. No improvement.

Another thing to add is that it's been getting worse.

Pooke

Sans le Sou 10:56 09 Jul 2005

Is it a cordless mouse?

Pooke 11:02 09 Jul 2005

No, it's a logitech corded one.

I knew I'd forget something :)

Pooke

leo49 11:05 09 Jul 2005

Turn it over and blow in the the tiny tracking hole - a speck of dust or gunge off your desk can get in there and cause this erratic behaviour.

spuds 11:23 09 Jul 2005

You do not mention the particular model, and Logitech do a fair range, some with various problems.Usually when the mouse pointer starts moving in odd directions, it is due to dirty ball wheels and runners, low battery charge or sensor/transmitter frequency wrong setting. But being corded, would rule out most of this possibilities.

Have you tried using the mouse on another surface!.

spuds 11:25 09 Jul 2005

You do not mention the particular model, and Logitech do a fair range, some with various problems.Usually when the mouse pointer starts moving in odd directions, it is due to dirty ball wheels and runners, low battery charge or sensor/transmitter frequency wrong setting. But being corded, would rule out most of this possibilities.

Have you tried using the mouse on another surface!.

spuds 11:27 09 Jul 2005

Sorry about double posting-seems to be a 'blip' with the PCA site [error timeout messages]

Sans le Sou 11:33 09 Jul 2005

can only suggest trying another mouse if you can borrow one that you know works. This will indicate a mouse problem or a system problem. Or try your mouse on another system if available.

Pooke 18:39 09 Jul 2005

It's a "click optical". £15 in PCW. Erm I tried different mouse mats, I have tried cleaning the red light thingy with air, and it still does it randonly for a few seconds at a time. I wil try and get my hands on a different mouse, they only cost a few quid for a cheapy anyway if I can't borrow one.

Thanks all

Pooke 17:46 15 Jul 2005

click here

Got one of them for £7 brand new in a mplex. Neat features, it's better than the logitech and more ergonomic. So here's to hoping that the jumping all over the place stops.

Pooke

Dorsai 18:14 15 Jul 2005

Being a corded mouse, and not an expensive one to start with, I would guess that one of the wires in the cord was in the process of breaking. I used to go through corded mice in about 8 months.

I got a cordless/optical one about 4 years ago. I got an expensive "known brand" one, being fed up with short lived cheepie's. It's still working now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)