Mouse & keyboard both freeze in Windows 10

climb45 15:34 27 Nov 2016

Everything will be working fine, then suddenly both the mouse and keyboard freeze. The computer continues working in the background, but I can't do anything with it because neither the keyboard or the mouse respond. The only option is to shutdown the computer by holding in the power button. Drivers are up to date and there are no errors in the Event log. This previously happened to another of our computers, which has now been replaced by a new one. Both computers were upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Any suggestions on overcoming this really frustrating problem would be appreciated!

rdave13 19:12 27 Nov 2016

Check Device manager, expand keyboard, HID Keyboard Device, double click and check that, under power management tab, Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box is unticked. Tick the box for Allow this device to wake the computer. If you have more than one HID Keyboard Device showing under the expanded Keyboard heading then repeat for all including Standard PS/2 Keyboard. Check the same under Mice and other pointing devices.

climb45 12:53 09 Dec 2016

Thanks for taking the time to respond rdave13. I couldn't find power management options for the mouse and keyboard, but tried just swapping both to alternative USB ports. This seems to have worked so I now suspect there is an intermittent issue with the motherboard connections of the ports I was originally using. I will try uninstalling all the USB ports and letting them automatically reinstall on reboot and see if that makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?