Motherboard won't start, only lights up

Buffy12 21:40 08 Dec 2018

Hi People,

In the last months, I have been building this ultra Video-editing and gaming PC with the following specs:

CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 780T FULL TOWER CASE Intel® Core™ i9-7980XE

Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Intel Socket 2066

128GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3000MHZ

11GB nVidia GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - still on the way

4TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA SSHD

512GB WD Black M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD

32 GB Intel Optane Memory

16X BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE

INTERNAL 52 IN 1 MEMORY CARD READER

CORSAIR 1200W HX Series Modular 80 Plus Platinium

Corsair H1155i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans ASUS STRIX Raid DLX 7.1 PCIe

ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5 GHz

I am still waiting for the video card, but since I knew it's going to take ages to put everything together, I decided to install everything I've got except the video card thinking I can install it at a later point.

So, I've put all the parts mentioned above together, as described in the manuals and as guided by tutorials on the internet. But when I wanted to test if it turns on, something very odd happened. When I turn the PSU on, the LEDs on the motherboard lights up for a second and nothing else happens. Also when I press the main power button, a very bizarre squeaky sound comes from the CPU as you can see in the following video:

click here

Did any of you encounter this before? Or at least do you have any idea what it can be???

Also, I took a few photos of the motherboard and CPU install I've done. Help, please??

click here

Jollyjohn 11:17 09 Dec 2018

I suspect power, or lack of it. Having looked at the manual I see there is the main 24 pin power connector and two 8 pin connectors at the top of the motherboard, are they correctly connected??

Do you get any beeps, assuming a speaker is connected, beep codes will help trace the problem.

Buffy12 20:49 09 Dec 2018

Hi Jollyjohn,

I have connected a speaker as you suggested, but no beep is coming out of the motherboard. Also, I have made sure several times that the 24 Pins cable and the CPU cable are correctly connected. I have also tried the both CPU 8pins cable slots and in both instances, nothing happens. I know it might sound stupid, but I don't have to connect both 8 pin connectors, right? Thanks

Jollyjohn 21:42 09 Dec 2018

The two 8 pin connectors may, or may not be connected, depending on your graphics card and it's power needs. I have a single 8 pin connector but with a 4 pin plug in it because that is all I need. You should at least get a single beep - POST completed successfully??

Buffy12 21:46 09 Dec 2018

No, nothing I'm afraid. I tried all the possible combinations. I'm going to take it to a repair shop tomorrow to get it checked. Hopefully is just a misplaced connector. However, all the parts are under warranty anyway, so once I found the issue, I can just get it replaced. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf