motherboard upgrade and windows XP

emark 12:32 29 Aug 2004

I have an OEM installation of Windows XP. I have upgraded the graphics card and CPU since installing. I have tried to switch from an Epox 8K7A motherboard to Gigabyte 7N400-Pro2. It does not boot - a blue screen appears for a second and the machine restarts. I can't read what's on the blue screen.
I've switched the motherboards back to my old Epox and everything works fine

HELP!!

cga 12:54 29 Aug 2004

I guess this is failing before you even get to the memtest and BIOS options.

The good news is that this will be something very basic and not associated with the OS. The bad news I have no idea what.

However, it does limit the options for the problem:-

1) Is it the same processor and/or memory (sorry - I have not checked to see if both mobo's take the same CPU).

2) Problems seating the memory / CPU.

3) Dodgy power connection to the Mobo.

4) Onboard or separate Graphics Card?

5) Maybe some others ???

6) Bad Mobo?

Hope this helps

emark 13:06 29 Aug 2004

Nope - it get all the way to starting booting up and then fails. If you reboot then i get the screen where it says windows failed to start-up properly with safe mode and normal boot options. Choosing either causes the start-up to fail and a flash of blue screen and a restart.

emark 13:06 29 Aug 2004

Nope - it get all the way to starting booting up and then fails. If you reboot then i get the screen where it says windows failed to start-up properly with safe mode and normal boot options. Choosing either causes the start-up to fail and a flash of blue screen and a restart.

cga 13:17 29 Aug 2004

OK - misunderstood your first post. In that case I assume you have checked all your BIOS settings.

If it OK when you go back to the old Mobo then it is something to do with devices. Silly things like disk recognition, UDMA mode, Boot order.

Beyond that we are into Mobo driver settings in the OS and I will then defer to others.

Have you tried booting from a floppy or CD to check the system out. I use Partition Magic from floppy as my first start up to check the system out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts