Motherboard trouble

Chezdez 14:07 31 Mar 2005

hey guys,
i'm back , temporartily, using a mates computer, cos minw, as you will see, is broken.

system spec: A7V8X moterbaorad, AMD athlon 2600+ XP, 512 MB DDR400 RAM (running at 333), the original BIOS, 350watt powersupply

i was previously using an A7V8X motherboardm, but after it was damaged, i have replaced it with an A7V8X-X motherboard, assuming that with the motherboards being the same model, everything should just plug in and go.

Now i can't get out of the BIOS. Everytime the computer boots up, it goes straight into the BIOS. In the BIOS, when i go to the boot-up tab, it appears to "lag", taking some seconds for the screen to display fully. My CD drives are not being detected. my harddisk is being detected.

Once i try to leave the BIOS by either save and change settings or choosing to ignore changes, the computer immediately deboots, and refuses to boot again until the power lead has been removed until the LED on the motherboard goes out. once plugged in again, the computer boots to BIOS, and then turns off again. it continues to do this.

on the odd occasion, it has booted into windows, but with really low resolution, and then asking me to activate windows, it then powered off, in the same manner as above.

I have tried to flash the BIOS using EZ flash, but when have managed to get into the utility (the odd occasion when it doesn't go to BIOS) i get told that "the device is not ready", followed by a deboot, same as above.

any ideas??

thanks in advance

Jase

BurrWalnut 14:55 31 Mar 2005

Sounds an odd error, especially the 'debooting'. In the BIOS try setting it to 'fail-safe' or similar wording.

Chezdez 16:52 31 Mar 2005

OK, i've taken the motherboard out, reseated everything, an idea from another post with the same problem, solved by a new case and PSU, but thats not an option for me

i also tried screwing the motherboard down with just two screw on, so as to minimise any bending of the board. after that, i managed to get into BIOS, save and exit, and the it rebooted, getting as far as the Asus logo before debooting

getting really frustrated here....

Jase

BurrWalnut 18:58 31 Mar 2005

Unplug everything from the motherboard except the CPU with its heatsink and fan, power supply, power switch and case speaker. Switch on and you should get a BIOS beep indicating that there is a problem (no memory or monitor/graphics card). This won't be the short single beep that indicates that everything is OK, but a long beep or series of beeps indicating a problem. If you do get a beep signal, refit the components starting with the monitor and memory until you fail to get the beep. You will then know what is causing the failure.

BurrWalnut 19:01 31 Mar 2005

Unplug everything from the motherboard except the CPU with its heatsink and fan, power supply, power switch and case speaker. Switch on and you should get a BIOS beep indicating that there is a problem (no memory or monitor/graphics card). This won't be the short single beep that indicates that everything is OK, but a long beep or series of beeps indicating a problem. If you do get a beep signal, refit the components starting with the monitor and memory until you fail to get the beep. You will then know what is causing the failure.

And, make sure the date and time are correct in the BIOS.

Chezdez 19:21 31 Mar 2005

i think, it's the CPU...

i've downclocked it to 1250MHz, and it boots into windows fine :D

gonna try and flash the BIOS, theres a BIOS update that says that it will make it compatible with 2600+, i thought it already was compatible.....

dan11 19:46 31 Mar 2005

So you must be running a thoroughbred 2600+ model 8. This is running at 333Mhz. The asus A7V8X-X should take the 2600+ without a bios flash click here

What this board does suffer from is. if you run a 333Mhz cpu, you must run 333Mhz memory. I know you have dropped the speed of the memory down.

To try this, enter the bios and set the cpu speed to 1.66Ghz i.e. 133mhz fsb X 12.5 multiplier. You can set the memory at either 333Mhz or 400Mhz.

It should boot fine at that speed.

Chezdez 19:50 31 Mar 2005

ok, so there wasn't that update, but there was a BIOS update that "Enlarge stability for 333MHz FSB CPU", according to the Asus website, which i figured would have worked, because my processor is a 333FSB

naturally, it only made things worse...

now the computer doesn't do anything other than power up. all the lights come on, the fans spin, but nothing. no beeps, no display. the monitor LED blinks as if the the computer has been turned off, but the monitor hasn't, very strange :S

i've tried resetting the COS (taking batteryout, switching the jumper over), but thathas no effect

HELP?!?!?!?!

cheers

Chezdez 19:51 31 Mar 2005

both the memory and the CPU were set to 333MHz, but it simply debooted once i tried to leave the BIOS with the processor set to run at 2.083GHz

dan11 20:20 31 Mar 2005

Yes I have the same board.

If you want to run the cpu at 333Mhz (2.083Ghz) you must use just pc2700 ( 333Mhz ) ram. It will not work properly with pc2100 or pc3200. The only way to get it to boot properly with pc3200 is to drop the cpu fsb down to 266Mhz ( 133) like this click here

This is a barton 2500+ ( 333Mhz ) so its multiplier is just 11.0, yours will read 12.5.

Gawd knows what you have done to the bios with the flash? I would short the cmos jumper for a minute and hope it would boot to the bios defaults. If it does, set the cpu frequency to 133/33 and the memory to either 400 or 333. It should boot straight in to windows and be stable.

The only way to run the cpu at full speed is to use pc2700 ( 333Mhz ) ram.

Sorry to say but this is clearly stated in the manual:-(

Best of luck, come back if there is a problem. ;-)

Chezdez 20:23 31 Mar 2005

OK, after checking through the archives, i have tried the RAM in all avaliable slots, and reseated the graphics card

still the same, fans whirr, hard disk powers up, but nothing

i'm pretty certain that the flashing has done the damage this time round (try fixing one problem, get another, bloody ungrategul they are!)

so, any ideas how to sort this? or am i going to have to send the thing back and get a new one (which i can't really afford to do)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?