Motherboard Opinion Please

spuds 17:49 20 Oct 2007

I am trying to configure a new build computer, and I have a choice of selecting one of two motherboard. Which one would you advice as the better product, and why.

MSI K9VGM-V 2xDIMM/DDR2 800.

Gigabyte GA-M61VME-S2 1000fsb-ddr800x2 integrated

Could you also suggest a suitable graphic card that would be better that the onboard one (not into gaming. just standard home use).

alan2273 19:15 20 Oct 2007

Have a look at this link it will give you an idea what is compatable.

click here

Quiller. 19:16 20 Oct 2007

I would go for the Gigabyte motherboard. overall it takes a larger range of faster cpu's, you may want to upgrade later and has SATA11 300Mps against the MSI's SATA 1 that runs at a slower 150Mps.

I also prefer gigabyte boards over MSI as I have found MSI board to run quite warm.

DieSse 19:44 20 Oct 2007

For "just standard home use" - there is absolutely no point whatsoever in adding a separate graphics board - the on-board one will be far more than adequate.

DieSse 19:45 20 Oct 2007

But why aren't you getting a Core2 Duo processor? (and board).

spuds 19:52 20 Oct 2007

alan2273. Strangely enough, Cougar are the people that have given me the choice of the two motherboards on a bare-bone system that I am getting built.

quiller. Looks like the Gigabyte motherboard then.

Thanks folks.

Anyone with any suggestions for a graphics card, from possibly the Cougar range or elsewhere. Prefer if Cougar supplied and installed re-warranty.

spuds 20:02 20 Oct 2007

DieSse. The bare-bone unit should have a AMD Dual Core X2 4000 AM2 64 fitted. But I have a choice of others, ie 3800/4400 for about the same price, give or take £10.00.

I could have had Intel, but I have always used and preferred AMD. Again open to suggestion regarding what I might have and use, in the final product.

DieSse 20:19 20 Oct 2007

With the Gigabyte board, I would simply re-iterate use the on-board graphics. There's simply no point in spending more to get a separate card.

I don't see processors as a "preference" item for one manufacturer or another - they're just a commodity where you get the one with the best price for the performance you need. And performance should be taken to include power consumption, as well as throughput.

I recommend you pay particular importance to getting a good, quiet, case, a good quiet PSU, and a top class heatsink/quiet fan for the processor.

The noise a system makes, and the heat it generates, is, these days, far more a factor to living with a system then the absolute zenith in performance.

IMHO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)