Most bizare problem we have come across

Sapins 13:39 18 Jun 2018

We have an HP desktop running Windows !0, recently Avast installed a secure browser, which we did not ask for, and which we cannot get rid of as it looks like the cause of the problem. Every time we click on a page which before we only had to left click to open it now we have to right click to open it! Most of other attempts to open pages and/or some link or other will just refuse to work.The whole computer seems to have problems with any page or link. I thought I could close and reopen windows 10 or reboot the computer but they will just not work. We have ran an Avast scan which came up clear.

So, how do we get the computer working normally again? This is important as we have folders we wish to be able to transfer to a new computer, probably a Mac. Any help gratefully appreciated.

lotvic 14:57 18 Jun 2018

On my W10 with Free Avast, Avast secure browser opened by default at every boot-up. From memory I ticked a box to say not to open and not to be default browser. Haven't had a problem since.

I suggest you go into W10 Settings, Apps, Default Apps and choose which browser you want as Default.

lotvic 15:03 18 Jun 2018

Also in Avast secure browser, go to Settings (click on the 3 vertical dots at top right) and at the bottom of settings page there is a slider ON/OFF for 'Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts'

Sapins 15:34 18 Jun 2018

Hello lotvic, Thanks for your reply I have firefox as the default browser. Can I reboot the computer without losing ANY files or folders?

lotvic 19:35 18 Jun 2018

I can't answer that, as I don't know if there are any other problems with your pc. To be on safe side I would make a copy of your files onto an external HDD or usb stick and disconnect same before reboot.

hastelloy 15:46 19 Jun 2018

I removed Avast secure browser using Revo uninstaller

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)