more than 1 internet connection from one landline?

laura e 01:53 21 May 2005

Hi,

We made a bit of a stupid mistake really! We were always on aol internet and they sent us information about upgrading to the broadband service, which we did, it was only AFTERWARDS that people starting telling us ohh aol is bad etc etc

Well apart from a few small minor hitches with the pc its running fine now and i cant say we have had that many problems with it really, BUT the one major problem is... i have a mac laptop and aol broadband isnt compatible with it!! for some STUPID reason!! aol dial up- fine, broadband-no go! and also me and my sister both use the internet quite a lot and often end up arguing over who uses the computer and when as we both have a lot of work to do on it, so what i wanted to know is, would it be possible for me to sign up to another internet service provider, compatible with my mac, but from the same landline number as the aol broadband is running from? I know this is probably hightly unlikely but i thought it would be worth a shot, that way both me and my sister could use the computers at the same time!
The only other alternative possibility i can think of is a wireless connection, but again i dont know how this would work, and if it would still have to go through the landline or if it is possible to get a wireless connection any other way?
i just think that its ridiculous that aol can develop dial up internet for macs but they cant develop broadband, despite it running from the same software version (aol 9)!! its crazy with the amount of mac users around nowadays!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Laura

Jak_1 05:56 21 May 2005

There are two ways it can be done.
1. Network the two computers together either by wireless or by crossover cable. This method will require one pc being the master.
2. Get a modem router, again wireless or cable conect.

Both pc's will require network cards either wireless or cable conect. Remember also that the bandwidth when both are online will be halved.

I see no reason why the lapton should not work with broadband. Try reinstalling the software.

Jak_1 06:01 21 May 2005

1. Network the two computers together either by wireless or by crossover cable. This method will require one pc being the master.

Both pc's will require network cards either wireless or cable conect. Remember also that the bandwidth when both are online will be halved.

I see no reason why the laptop should not work with broadband. Try reinstalling the software.

Jak_1 06:03 21 May 2005

I see no reason why the laptop should not work with broadband. Try reinstalling the software.

Jak_1 06:13 21 May 2005

Jak_1 06:16 21 May 2005

Sorry about the multipost, don't know what happened!

DieSse 13:19 21 May 2005

You can have a dial-up connection and a broadband connection active at the same time on the same line. I know it works, as I've done it even from a single PC. But you can't have two different BB connections together.

laura e 15:51 22 May 2005

Hiya,

I cant reinstall the software on the mac because it defo wont work, i rung up aol and they told me that aol dial up works on macs, just not the broadband! it seems stupid to me!!

so if i DO network the pc and the mac (is that possible?) then would my mac be able to get the broadband off the pc and make it work on the mac? i cant see it working if aol broadband doesnt work on a mac, and i didnt know you could network a oc with a mac! maybe u can!!
another thing, i was able to go on dial up on my mac but my sister was on aol on the pc, and when i tried to sign in it said that you can only have one screen name signed in at a time so i signed in with her screen in name thinking maybe that would work but it just signed her out and said she had been signed in at another location!!

So i dont know if theres anything that i can do really!! especially if i cant sign up to another ISP using the same landline that aol is running from!! :-s

DieSse 16:31 22 May 2005

"so if i DO network the pc and the mac (is that possible?) then would my mac be able to get the broadband off the pc and make it work on the mac?"

No.

"i didnt know you could network a oc with a mac!"

Yes you can.

"i was able to go on dial up on my mac but my sister was on aol on the pc, and when i tried to sign in it said that you can only have one screen name signed in at a time so i signed in with her screen in name thinking maybe that would work but it just signed her out and said she had been signed in at another location!!"

I'm 100% confident you can both sign on at the same time as long as you use two different identities - after all, it's just like two different computers om different lines then.

laura e 16:52 22 May 2005

What can i do then to be able to go onto aol dial up on my laptop whilst my sister is using the broadband on the pc? do i have to make a new location or something?

Because last time I tried it definitely didnt work. When i signed in under my name it connected, then automatically disconnected and said only one aol screen name may be signed in at a time. I dont know wether that meant from one account or from one location though! :-s

aol has been so frustrating at times!!

DieSse 18:29 22 May 2005

The two lines are the same as two locations - BB and the dialup are totally independant of one another.

So all you need to do is sign on as if you are two completely different users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?