Monitors stuck in sleep mode out of nowhere

Yoomax 20:00 27 Nov 2018

Hi all, I'm stuck in a pretty strange situation here I was playing an emulated ps3 game on my pc when suddenly, out of nowhere both my monitors went black. I could still hear the game sounds so I knew everything on my pc was still continuing even though I couldn't see it.

I don't really know what happened but I know that my monitors still work. I shut down my pc, rebooted, but the monitors instantly go into sleep mode. There's no way there's a loose cable somewhere because I checked for it and it happened to BOTH monitors at once.

Sometimes after shutting everything down, the monitors will work for a few minutes, then go back to sleep mode. This way I managed to boot in safe mode to see if the problem persists there and it did, so it's most likely not a driver issue.

Right now I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with my gpu maybe?

wee eddie 20:30 27 Nov 2018

It sounds much like a Graphics Card issue. If it weren't working the monitor would display some sort of "No Signal" notice.

Things you can do for free: Clear the dust from its Heat Exchanger's fins > Reseat it > Update its Drivers

Yoomax 20:47 27 Nov 2018

I tried cleaning the entire pc Also the problem literally happened 20 minutes after updating my drivers...

MJS WARLORD 21:34 27 Nov 2018

Have a look on you pc for copies of previously installed drivers , windows sometimes saves copies of old drivers so you could have an older driver you can revert back to. Go to my pc. The nvidea folder could be in folder or C drive program files or program files (x86). I always save copies of previously used drivers just in case something goes wrong.

As a last resort you could try device manager / right click on your card tab and choose roll back driver.

Yoomax 21:38 27 Nov 2018

I'm pretty sure it's not the driver, setting it back didn't work

wee eddie 22:57 27 Nov 2018

As a matter of interest: Where did you download your new Drivers from?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable