Monitor Power Cord

23790954 14:45 07 Apr 2006

I know it sounds a bit silly, but I have just received a new Videoseven W17PS flat screen monitor, which I am adding to a system I am building for my daughter-in-law. Although I have built numerous computers, I do not pretend to be an electrical wizard. All I need to know is, the videoseven flat screen monitor is supplied with a TWO pin power cord which goes into the voltage adaptor, which in turn is fitted to the monitor. Can I replace this TWO pin power cord with a normal THREE pin power cord which also fits the adaptor, without causing any damage to the system. As an elderly pensioner I do not want to do anything stupid. Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me this information.

Meshuga 15:05 07 Apr 2006

If the 2 pin power cord you refer to is the one that plugs into the mains then I would suggest you contact the supplier and ask them to supply the correct cord. I am assuming that your daughter wants to plug it into a UK 13amp socket. If the adaptor is Double insulated and does not require earthing then you could change the 2pin plug for a 13a 3pin one but I would not advise that without investigating further first. I would suggest you do as my first suggestion indicates.

chub_tor 17:13 07 Apr 2006

It's worth looking at the label on the voltage adapter to ensure that it is for 220/230V supply and that you haven't been sent the 110V version. Then follow meshuga's suggestions.

Meshuga 19:48 07 Apr 2006

chub_tor, according to the manufacturers spec the item is suitable for operation on 100-240 volts at 50-60 HZ. There may well be some sort of internal control in the adapter. It could well be however a model intended for Europe where they have 2pin mains sockets. In the absence of any response from the enquirer we cant question further.

howard63 20:30 07 Apr 2006

I received a piece of equipment from a British supplier without a British mains lead. On pointing out to them that it was illegal to supply mains electrical equipment in this country without the correct plug fitted 1 was sent out to me immediately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?