monitor

alan 2273 17:54 20 Oct 2003

Has anyone come across a problem of a monitor that seems to be working ok but some times the screen on start up will just not work. the On Off button has a light by it , when the monitor is working this light is green but when I dont get a picture the light is orange .The monitor is a time so what the actual make is anyones guess.

Stuartli 17:59 20 Oct 2003

The green light means a signal is being received, the orange one that no signal is present and, therefore, no picture.

Joanne_1 18:02 20 Oct 2003

It sounds more likely to be a graphics card issue than a monitor problem, does it work ok once youve restarted.

Rayuk 18:08 20 Oct 2003

Have a look on the back of the monitor should be a sticker there may tell you what monitor you have

citadel 18:11 20 Oct 2003

I had a monitor that would suddenly black out. I had to get a new one.

alan 2273 18:12 20 Oct 2003

Origonally the problem started on a comp with onboard graphics, so L tried it on two more comps one with a GF4 Ti4200 and the other with a GF3 Ti200 sometimes the picture would come on sometimes not, which makes me think it is something to do with the monitor.

Epoc 18:13 20 Oct 2003

Might be a bad cable/connection. Have you tried moving it around when it won't turn on? Just a quick thought, best to eliminate the cheaper options first.

Djohn 18:24 20 Oct 2003

This can sometimes happen because of a switching fault at the motherboard, but seeing you have tried two different computers, it rules this out.

When the Orange light is showing on the monitor, it's in stand-by mode waiting for a signal from your motherboard/graphics card to switch on. So I think that after trying the options you mention above, it does seem to narrow the cause down to either the cable or a intermittent fault in the monitor itself. j.

alan 2273 22:57 20 Oct 2003

Thanks to you all for your input.
Regards Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)