modem won't work after windows auto-update

  fudge 18:33 08 Jan 2003
Locked
  fudge 18:33 08 Jan 2003

Windows ran an auto-update (winME and IE6)which included an updated driver for a modem, which it says I needed. It simply identified this as '56K HCF INT Modem (INTERNAL)'.

Since installing I now cannot get the modem to work at all.

In the Device Manager it shows this modem as working OK and has it allocated to COM 4. My real modem is also listed and shown as working OK, and is allocated to COM 3.

I have removed both modems but on a reboot windows re-installs them both.

Firstly, does anybody know why auto-update identified a modem which wasn't there and secondly (and much more important), how can I get my real modem to work again? All settings are exactly the same as they were before the install!

I could try a system restore but I've installed more software and made several changes since this update, so I only want to do that as a last resort.

  colinb 22:02 21 Jan 2003

Could you move the modem to a different PCI slot and reinstal. When I lost my modem after browsing a CD rom disc I reinstalled a PCI modem in a white slot.[but I haven't yet found my original modem doesn't work.]

  Cuddles 14:44 22 Jan 2003

Try removing both entries for the com ports as well as the modems then reboot, that should work.

  fudge 15:04 22 Jan 2003

Since my original posting, which was a fortnight ago (so I didn't think I would get a reply) I had been trying various things, one of which was your idea. It did work and the modem that windows update loaded has now dissappeared.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)