'modem not present' after every reboot on XP Pro

Flopper 18:19 30 May 2003

Recently upgraded to XP Pro and my generic 56kbps Rockwell Chipset V90 modem states 'modem not present' every time I shut down and restart.
I had this problem some months ago and left a message here but got only one reply. The problem was resolved then (I cannot remember how) but has reappeared. I either let it 'auto' find and install or I point it to the driver on a floppy which came with the modem and it works as I say until I shut down. I do not know the original manufacturer. In System/Device Manager the modem is shown as 'Rockwell DPF PnP'.
Is it the generic modem or driver not compatible with XP or something else ? It worked fine with Win2K.

Flopper 18:31 30 May 2003

I 'clicked here' (twice)and went nowhere ?

Flopper 18:50 30 May 2003

I could not get the link to work but got to the site by other means and left a message.
Thanx

Flopper 22:56 31 May 2003

Once again the problem seems to have mysteriously resolve itself. I tried to 'remove' the modem from System/Device Manager and let XP find it and auto load driver. This failed, but today the modem stayed put and fired up immediately. Strange !!
Thanx for your time and advice anyway.

Flopper 22:58 31 May 2003

Once again the problem seems to have mysteriously resolve itself. I tried to 'remove' the modem from System/Device Manager and let XP find it and auto load driver. This failed, but today the modem stayed put and fired up immediately. Strange !! Thanx for your time and advice anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)