Modem - no dial tone

nhojnhoj 14:05 09 Nov 2003

My Dads internet connection (freeserve) has suddenly decided it cant detect a dial up tone from the internal modem.

theres no 1571 feature on the line so thats not affecting it. i tried unticking the box that says wait for dial tone, no joy.

i checked in device manager and it says the modem is working correctly. i selected query modem and no fault was found.

this is the 3rd time this has happened.

the 1st time the shop sorted it but charged a tenner - so i`m sure it was software related (they are an honest shop and the hardware is under warranty) but they didn`t tell him what they did.

the second time he rang freeserve who told him to do something or other and it started working.

any suggestions???

spikeychris 15:32 09 Nov 2003

Un-install it from device manager and reboot. Windows will assign it a generic driver whilst its boting up.

nhojnhoj 17:24 09 Nov 2003

will i not need the driver disk that belongs to the modem? they never supplied a disk for it. i wondered if that might be the reason?

spikeychris 17:30 09 Nov 2003

What operating system?

Stuartli 17:34 09 Nov 2003

If you have it working then look on the manufacturer's website for the driver for your model or one of the many download sites providing drivers.

Stuartli 17:36 09 Nov 2003

You need Wait for Dial Tone enabled and also to select Tone and not Pulse.

nhojnhoj 18:17 09 Nov 2003

its windows xp home, it has been working mainly ok for about 4 months

its set to tone and wait for dial tone is enabled, i just tried it without to see what happened.
it is just saying there is no dial tone.

without stating the obvious, i can`t download the driver to his pc because we can`t connect to the internet

any other ideas please?

spikeychris 18:25 09 Nov 2003

Options >>

Download the latest driver to FDD on your machine and try that.

Is it a winmodem? uninstall it and reboot, you will have the driver on FDD incase windows ignores it..doughtfull.

woodchip 18:25 09 Nov 2003

Try the card to see if it's full in the slot

woodchip 18:26 09 Nov 2003

The case may have pulled it part out

nhojnhoj 18:32 09 Nov 2003

ok so i`ll try that tommorrow so....

download the driver to a floppy & take it with me, then uninstall from device manager, reboot and hopefully windows will find it. if not i use the floppy with latest version? is that right?

one other point though, is there a way to tell if the modem is actually recievfing a dialling tone or if the phone line connections are OK?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?