mobo/processor upgrade to Dell XPST500

Newuser3825 15:46 07 Jul 2003

Hi to all you very intelligent guys and gals,
I have a Dell XPST500 Pentium 3 system which was the dogs dangly bits when I bought it new 3 years ago (yes...a 500 P3 was that just 3 years back!).
I use the PC mainly for home business use (for which it's great) and the only real gaming is Flight Sim 2002 Pro (sorry, I'm a bit sad I know). With this in mind, the processor is really showing its age and even with a slightly overclocked GEForce 2 MX400 (64MB) Graphics card, the frame rates are struggling on high detail scenery screens.
Whilst I can go down Aldi's and buy a brand new Medion PC 2.6GHz Pentium 4 for 800 smackeroonies that looks like that it can do everything bar wiping one's backside (it may do, but it isn't in the spec), I would prefer to keep the Dell and upgrade the MoBo and processor initially, followed shortly afterwards by an improved Graphics card (I'm not worried about sound, etc -the existing Creative S/B OEM suits me fine). Whilst I've added bits and pieces over the past couple of years, I have never ventured so far as MoBo's/CPU's/DDR ram etc and really don't know the first thing about them.
Anybody have any advice/recommendations (e.g. Pentium/AMD) as to what I should go for bearing in mind a budget of about £200 (excluding the Graphics card). Any help at all will be appreciated.

Lú-tzé 16:11 07 Jul 2003

Be careful - Dell uses a lot of proprietary components (including PSUs) which cannot connect to other components. I read a review somewhere of the trouble someone got into with an attempt to upgrade a Dell - I will do a search for it and post the link if I find it.

Lú-tzé 16:14 07 Jul 2003

click here

or

click here

At the very least you willneed to upgrade the PSU at the same time.

oeufbum 17:56 07 Jul 2003

Hi Lú-tzé
Thanks for this info and the excellent links. The PC was bought new in June 2000 therefore according to the info there I will definitely need a new PSU. I will look up some prices tomorrow for all the bits and make sure everythings compatible before I venture into unknown territory!
Failing that, I have an inkling that I'm about to add a teeny bit more to Aldi's 2003 profits.
Cheers again

Lú-tzé 18:00 07 Jul 2003

If you want the Aldi machine straight away, go to Toys'r'us and it is there for a good price (maybe even better than Aldi). It is branded as cybermaxx but in reality is the Medion.

Prof ;o) 21:23 07 Jul 2003

If you want to just replace the MB and CPU get a GA-7VAXP MB(cheap, great performer with all the toys you want and then some)for about £100 followed by an AthlonXP 1800+(1.5GHz)for about £70 and then from crucial.com 256MB DDR PC2100 for £30 or if you go to a PC fair and buy all that from the same place and pay chash the ppl on the stall will probably give you a discount if you ask cos u bought by cash.

prof

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?