Okay, I admit it - deleted a needed .dll file so it's my fault, but I'm not the first and won't be the last so learn from my mistake ..... but I'd appreciate some help anyway :o)
Note: WINDOWS 98SE
Trying to open Outlook Express gives the error message "One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found" and refers to UNICOWS.DLL
What I don't understand is that after clicking "ok", then shortly afterwards (within 30 seconds) OE loads and operates as normal, hence the thread title - surely if the file was truly 'missing' then it wouldn't work at all ?
Here's a list of the things I've tried so far ....
1. Ran system file checker (no missing/corrupted files reported)
2. Tried an Internet Explorer "repair" from Add/Remove Programs.
3. d/loaded unicows.dll from the internet and placed in Windows/System folder
4. d/loaded and installed unicode pack (contains above file) from microsoft.com
5. Re-installed Windows 98SE "over the top".
None of the above has made any difference.
Can anyone please confirm the right location for this file as my suspicions are, that it's there somewhere (but maybe misplaced). When I look in Windows/System, I cannot see an icon for unicows.dll at all.