Missing Hard drive...

AndyC121 21:06 10 Sep 2007

Help please.....

My computer is not recognising my second hard drive (e drive) - it is not showing up if you go to Start/My Computer and if you click on any programme short cuts to launch from that drive it can not find them.

The only thing of difference that I (think) I have down is remove a couple of programmes from the Start/All Programmes/Start Up file to clean up start up.

I was getting a couple of error messages for a Symantec programme - so decided to delete the whole programme to see if rebooting would bring the hard drive back but nothing.

Any help on locating the hard drive and re-installing without losing the info on it would be much appreciated.

skidzy 21:09 10 Sep 2007

Is the drive listed in Disc management ?

Start /Right click My Computer / Manage / Disk Management.

Assuming xp/Vista

AndyC121 21:11 10 Sep 2007

Hi Skidzy
No its not in there (XP btw).

cheers

skidzy 21:24 10 Sep 2007

How about device manager ? is it listed...i doubt it will be.

If the pc is not new and under warranty,i would check the ide/sata cables within the tower...possibly come loose...remove the E:\ drive and reconnect.Though this would be unlikely unless you have been inside the tower.

Also check the bios.

AndyC121 21:35 10 Sep 2007

Hi Skidzy,

the hard drive appears in device manager...interestingly if I click on the C: drive in device manager there is a button that allows me to disable the drive - but for my second drive there is no such button.

Computer not new, and I have not been in the tower, and as device manager is showing the drive I can only presume it is not a loose cable.

skidzy 21:37 10 Sep 2007

Strange !

Have you tried uninstalling the drive via device manager and reboot,hopefully xp will locate the drive and reinstall this associating a drive letter.

AndyC121 21:41 10 Sep 2007

if I uninstall in device manager will it affect any of the data on the hard drive? gutted if I lose itunes songs I have clearly not backed up (GULP!!)

[email protected] 21:41 10 Sep 2007

time to have a look in the case to see if there are 2 physical drives,and rule out virtual or mapped drive maybe

AndyC121 21:45 10 Sep 2007

problem solved.....

Instead of rebooting the computer I turned it off completely - on rebooting all the right icons were on my desktop and I successfully launched a programme (Civilisation BTS).

I think the computer needed to completely shut down so to allow the changes I mage to the 'Start Menu' to work properly - but like I said that's all I can think.

Appreciate the help

skidzy 21:49 10 Sep 2007

Cheers Andy for posting the solution.

Hi Raven :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?