Missing filenames in Thumbnail view

chub_tor 19:29 03 Feb 2005

I have been running Win XP SP2 for some time now and today I noticed that if I open My Documents from the desktop - or via Explorer under the desktop - all the file names are missing. I can see them in File View, Details etc but not in Thumbnail. Folders inside My Documents are not affected, filenames are present in Thumbnails of My Pictures etc. If I drill down In Explorer via Documents & Settings, user etc to look at My Documents all the filenames are there and they are there also in Shared Files/My Documents on my network. I have tried repairing the icaons with Tweakui to no effect. I have recently added ViaVoice 10 and MediaPlus from Serif and could uninstall them if absolutely necessary but thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem before and got a satisfactory solution.

Technotiger 19:36 03 Feb 2005

Hi, not too clear what you are getting at but -
Open My Documents folder on desktop then Go to Views, on right of menus and select Tiles. Is this then what you want?

chub_tor 18:37 04 Feb 2005

No this is not what I want, I want to see the filenames under the icons in My Documents when Thumbnails is selected under View. I can see the filenames under Tiles, Icons, List & Details but for some reason they are missing under Thumbnails view. As I said it's only if I open up My Documents from the Desktop. If I open My Documents from Explorer via Documents & Settings, the file names are underneath the thumbnails. If I open My Documents from the Desktop the filenames are missing from underneath.

Technotiger 18:56 04 Feb 2005

Me again - do you use PicaView? If not I would suggest you download/instal it from

click here

I use it, it is excellent, only guessing but it just might give you back your details in thumbnail view.

In any case it is an excellent little programme.

chub_tor 18:56 04 Feb 2005

I rolled back to a time before I installed ViaVoice and Mediaplus and that fixed the problem.

Technotiger 19:01 04 Feb 2005

OK - great, thanks for letting me know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?